If you are passionate about Portland’s future and care about our quality of life, education, the economy, equity and more, the Portland Plan Community Involvement Committee (CIC) needs you.
As a member of the CIC, you will work with Planning and Sustainability Commissioners and 14 other devoted Portlanders to review and provide input on the public involvement efforts for the Portland Plan and, subsequently, the Comprehensive Plan Update. The advisory committee makes recommendations to the Portland Planning and Sustainability Commission (PSC) and staff on ways to maintain and improve its public involvement activities to ensure the outreach efforts for the plan are as inclusive and effective as possible.
Applicants should have an interest in the public process and be able to share ideas for enhancing the City-Community partnership, in order to achieve the goals of the Portland Plan of a thriving and sustainable city, rich in opportunity for all.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, May 6, 2011. Learn more about the committee and apply at http://www.portlandonline.com/portlandplan/index.cfm?c=50731&a=344888.
Qualifications and Skills
- Strong interest in and understanding of public involvement processes
- Commitment to the City’s goal for the CIC: To oversee and strengthen the community’s involvement and capacity to participate with the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability, partner bureaus and government agencies in the development of the Portland Plan and Comprehensive Plan Update
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse perspectives and experiences
- Willingness to contribute to successful group work; team player
- Ability to commit two to three hours every month, plus preparation for monthly meetings; additional subcommittee meetings; public involvement events; presenting at Planning and Sustainability Commission meetings, City Council, etc.
- Live, work and/or go to school in the City of Portland
- Review public involvement methods, activities and results. Approximate end date for the Portland Plan is December 2011 and Comprehensive Plan Update is December 2012.
- Review and make recommendations for involvement methods and activities for the coming month.
- Meet monthly at Wednesday morning meetings. Quarterly, there are Wednesday evening meetings held instead.
- Consider issues and concerns from a citywide perspective.
Final consideration and appointments will be made by the mayor and approved by City Council by June 2011.
To learn more about the Portland Plan, please visit www.pdxplan.com.