Reducing junk mail isn’t only good for your mailbox, it’s also great for the climate!
- The world’s temperate forests absorb two billion tons of carbon annually.
- Creating and shipping junk mail produces more greenhouse gas emissions than nine million cars.
- More than 100 million trees are destroyed each year to produce junk mail.
- Of all the timber harvested nationwide, 42 percent becomes pulpwood for paper.
- About 28 billion gallons of water are wasted to produce and recycle junk each year.
- You waste about 70 hours a year dealing with junk mail.
(Source: http://www.41pounds.org/impact/[s1] )
Save time and resources
Metro and Catalog Choice offer a free online service in these four easy steps:
- Sign up for a free account at oregonmetro.catalogchoice.org. Catalog Choice never rents, sells, or releases your name for any purpose other than fulfilling your specific mail preference request.
- Once you are logged in, search for companies you no longer want to receive mail from (or for phone books, enter your zip code). Catalog Choice works with more than 4,000 companies, including mail order catalogs, donor solicitations, financial offerings, phone books and coupons.
- Find a company, follow the prompts and submit your request. Catalog Choice takes it from there. You will receive an email once the opt-out has been received by the company. The opt-outs take a few weeks to process, so you might receive a few pieces of unwanted mail in the interim.
- Track your opt-outs online and see which have been delivered and which are still pending.