The start of the holiday season begins with Halloween, and autumn is a good time of year to be reminded that 35 percent of carbon emissions in Multnomah County come from the making, transporting and disposal of our stuff. Take some time to think differently about how to get the things you need for you and your family to celebrate the season.
Getting a grip on how we think about and manage all of that stuff can help curb climate change. The good news is there are lots of ways to reduce these impacts and improve our lives at the same time. Get started with Halloween!
Take advantage of all the great resources Portland offers for making or renting a costume.
Make your own costume
Used clothing and reused craft supply stores allow you to create a unique and inexpensive costume of your own making.
- SCRAP: Find all kinds of fabric and supplies at super low prices. Explore ways to get crafty, adorn a costume, and make hair wreaths or masks.
- Find cool homemade costume ideas online.
Rent a costume
No time or crafty abilities to make your own? Renting gives you options for a stand-out costume.
Reuse a costume
There are great finds lurking throughout the city.
- Vintage clothing shops abound inPortland, with clothing options for all decades.
- Red Light Clothing Exchange and Buffalo Exchange often have used costumes for sale leading up to Halloween.
- Consignment/thrift clothing stores are great resources for costumes, or clothes to make costumes.
- Children’s resale shops may have kids’ costumes as well.
- Or plan a costume swap – your friend’s costume from last year may be perfect for you this year.
Reuse or repurpose decorations from past years to brighten your home. Share an adventure to Sauvie Island with pumpkin picking, tractor rides, local foods and fun for the whole family.
- Buy seasonal food that looks beautiful on your plate: apples, pears, cranberries, winter squash, hazelnuts, walnuts, chard, kale, leeks, beets and potatoes.
- Decorate your table with pumpkins and gourds that can be composted when you’re done with them.
- Borrow or rent durable dishes, flatware and linens for larger parties and gatherings to add beauty to the table and save money over time.