A green home is not just a color. In this case, green means healthy, efficient, durable and beautiful. If you've ever wondered what makes a new or existing home green, now is your chance to see what's sprouting up green in your neighborhood.
The City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability’s ninth annual tour features twenty-one green remodels and new homes in the Portland Metro Region, showcasing a variety of ways homeowners are conserving energy and water, meeting and exceeding green home certification standards, managing stormwater on site, reducing their carbon footprints and minimizing construction waste.
Tour highlights include:
- Three affordable housing projects for home buyers at or below 80 percent of area median income (AMI). These sites provide 19 new affordable green housing units within the city from community development partners Habitat for Humanity Portland Metro/East, Portland Community Reinvestment Initiatives and Proud Ground.
- One home renovation and two new homes following the stringent Passive House Standard ensuring a “very well-insulated, virtually air-tight building that is primarily heated by passive solar gain and by internal gains from people, electrical equipment, etc.”
- A tiny, 200 square foot mother-in-law cottage in the midst of a family food garden.
- Portland’s first permitted strawbale dwelling (it’s orange with 20” thick walls).
- A colorful 1884 national historic landmark home with energy improvements through the Clean Energy Works Portland Program.
- A wheelchair-accessible timberframe home featuring six species of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified and salvaged wood.
Tickets: $15 general admission; $10 car-free/student/honored citizen; FREE for children 14 and under.
In person: Ecohaus, 819 SE Taylor Street 503-222-3881
Presented by the City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability.
Sponsored by: Metro, Energy Trust of Oregon, Oregon Home magazine, Solar Oregon, City of Portland Bureaus of Development Services, Environmental Services and Water.
FREE family-friendly fun Info Fair hosted by Ecohaus, 819 SE Taylor St., Portland, OR 97214.
Inquiries: 503-823-5431 email@example.com
Date: Saturday, September 25th, 2010
Time : 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
FREE Info Fair: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Homes preview and online tickets www.portlandonline.com/bps/builditgreen