Mercy Corps Hosts Vigil for Typhoon Victims
THURSDAY, NOV. 14, 2013 – Mercy Corps is organizing a candlelight vigil tonight in honor the victims of Typhoon Haiyan.
The event is set for 5:30 p.m. today at Skidmore Fountain Plaza, S.W. First and Ankeny. The brief ceremony will include remarks by members of the Filipino Community, Mercy Corps and city officials.
Click here for more information:
Wednesday Fundraiser Benefits Survivors
WEDNESDAY, NOV. 13, 2013 -- The Philippine American Chamber of Commerce of Oregon and Southwest Washington, or PACCO, is sponsoring a benefit Filipino dinner for the survivors of the super typhoon that recently hit the Philippines.
The dinner is 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13, at the Northwest Health Foundation, 221 N.W.Second Ave., Portland.
The dinner is complimentary, but people are encouraged to bring their checkbooks and to help raise money to help the thousands who need help now.
Those who cannot attend can send tax deductible donation to: PACCO, 5224 N. Michigan Ave., Portland, OR 97217.
How you can help Typhoon Haiyan survivors
MONDAY, NOV. 11, 2013 – Portlanders are asking how they can help in the aftermath of the devastating Typhoon Haiyan, which smashed into the Philippines this weekend.
Rescue officials urge people not to fly into the heart of a disaster zone; while well-meaning, having volunteers show up means a need for extra food, potable water and sleeping arrangements, all of which are stretched well beyond capacity in the Philippines.
Donating funds to the cause is the better response. People can donate to the survivors of the typhoon at:
• UNICEF: http://fieldnotes.unicefusa.org/2013/11/unicef-responds-to-typhoon-haiyan-emergency.html?gclid=CPzk2NnT37oCFaU5QgodMmMAZQ
• Philippine Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org.ph/
• MercyCorps.: https://www.mercycorps.org/donate/help-typhoon-haiyan-survivors?source=WPW01005&gclid=COKytPDT37oCFSU6QgoddBIAfg
• World Food Programme: https://www.wfp.org/
• Catholic Relief Services: https://secure.crs.org/site/Donation2?df_id=6140&6140.donation=form1
• Save the Children: http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6115947/k.8D6E/Official_Site.htm
• Doctors Without Borders: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/