Week of 8/17/09 - 8/24/09
Yes, I know that's eight days, not a week. I was out of town from Thursday afternoon through next Monday, on vacation with my daughter. My calendar for Monday through Thursday noon starting 8/17/09:
* Regular monthly meeting with Bruce Warner and Keith Witcosky, plus Paul Slyman, PDC. Covered Office of Healthy Working Rivers and Harbor ReDI, Convention Center Hotel/URA changes, new potential west side URA, etc.
* Meeting with Bernie Bottomly, PBA, Jeff Curtis of Tygh Capital and Pat Becker, Jr. of Becker Capital, regarding their hope for changes in the Business License Fee for some low-employee/high income companies
* Community Agencies meeting to review process for signing kids up for health insurance under the State's new expansion of the Oregon Health Plan, with State Representative Tina Kotek. Wonderful success - approximately 40 agency and community folks showed up. Multnomah Education Service District will help coordinate outreach from now on, with our assistance. Contact Sara Hussein in my office for details.
* Lunch with Dave Lister, discussed health care, press issues, current events, etc.
* Monthly meeeting with Commissioner Leonard
* Met with Chris Fick, a University of Maryland student who will be doing a Capstone project researching an issue for our office
* Monthly meeting with Amalia Alarcon de Morris, Director of the Office of Neighborhood Involvement, also later her annual performance evaluation - excellent
* Meeting with Jeramy Patton and Andrew Scott regarding the 2009-10 City budget process and how it can be improved in the next cycle
* Council meeting Wednesday morning only
* Retirement celebration for Ruth Roth, Office of Management and Finance
* Meeting with Dr. Herman Frankel regarding national health care insurance
* Quarterly meeting with Chief Sizer, discussed sidewalk laws, 911/Police issues
* Meeting with staff from the City Attorney's office regarding potential sidewalk regulations
* Phone calls with Beth Slovic, Willamette Week regarding office expenditures, and left message returning Jake Thomas's call from The Observer regarding racial profiling
* Concert in the Park at Ventura Park in Hazelwood on Wednesday evening
* New Leadership Oregon panel event at City Hall, for Portland high school girls
* Bill Naito Legacy Fountain dedication
* Left on vacation after noon on Thursday.back in the office on Tuesday, August 25.
Dinners at home: All but Wednesday, and out of town dining at Louie's in Ashland Thursday to Sunday.