Week of 4/5/09 - 4/13/09
* Met with Jeff Baer, Director of Bureau of Purchases, to discuss proposed changes to contracting procedures allowing administrative approval of contracts under the federal stimulus package, up to $5,000,000. Requested broadening the membership of the advisory committee to add participants with no vested interests in contracts.
* Met with Susan Anderson, Director of Bureau of Planning and Sustainability, to discuss the River Plan, Office of Healthy Working Rivers, Portland Plan, Metro growth projections, etc
* Met with Carol Stahlke, President of AFSCME Local 189 - general conversation about upcoming contract negotiations next year, flexible staffing at BOEC, etc
* Meeting with AFSCME Local 49 representatives on union-management issues at the Bureau of Emergency Communications, including grievance procedures and proposed trial of offering part-time staffing
* Attended meeting of North Portland Neighborhood Association presidents in Kenton Fire House, listened in on regular agenda.
* Hosted meeting to review Office of Cable Communications and Franchise Management proposal for wireless facilities in the right-of-way on existing utility poles. Participants generally felt we are heading in the right direction, and gave useful suggestions for further improvements.
* Metro Policy Advisory Committee meeting at Metro, discussing growth projections and options for meeting future housing and jobs needs.
* City Council meetings on Wednesday morning and Wednesday afternoon. The Thursday afternoon Agenda item on Permit Center Consolidation was postponed to 4/16 at 6 p.m.
* Talked with Commissioner Leonard about Permit Consolidation and Service Response Team
* Met with Bureau of Development Services Director Paul Scarlett, and Andy Peterson, regarding Permit Consolidation
* Talked/emailed with multiple community land use volunteers (too numerous to list) regarding Permit Consolidation
* Met with Mayor Adams regarding multiple upcoming issues
* Regular monthly meeting with Director and Deputy Director of Cable Communications/Franchise Management, discussing upcoming audit findings and also the wireless facilities in the right-of-way contract improvements.
On Thursday after Council, I left town to spend three days with my daughter.... and caught up on some of the backlog of emails awaiting replies, while my daughter was away attending her convention events. My public email inbox was reduced from 550 new messages to 139 new messages by noon on Sunday. I truly enjoy interacting directly with citizens on issues they choose to contact me about.