Week of 3/16/09 - 3/21/09
* Attended the Diversity Institute's annual luncheon, with Harold C. Williams master of ceremonies. Commissioners Leonard and Fish also attended, but Nick sat at a different table and at no time were the three of us together. Former Portland Public Schools superintendent Dr. Matthew Prophet gave a memorable keynote address, telling of his experiences in education and the military. As an officer, he refused to serve in an all-African-American U.S. regiment in Korea.... and was assigned to work with a regiment from Ethiopia.
* More budget work session prep! More budget work sessions! This week, Emergency Communications from my portfolio, plus Planning, Parks, Fire, and other such interesting bureaus. All suffering greatly from budget cuts.
* Meeting with Mark Jolin of JOIN, Ed Blackburn of Central City Concern, Susan Edmonds of NW Pilot Projects, and Doreen Binder of Transition Projects, providing services to homeless people and also threatened by budget cuts
* Meeting with Dan Yates, owner of the Portland Spirit, to discuss the Office of Healthy Working Rivers and the Central Eastside Industrial District
* Meeting with Bureau of Transportation staff to discuss the light rail bridge to Milwaukie
* Met with Randy White, Bright Neighbor founder, to discuss potential use of his product in the Office of Neighborhood Involvement and Office of Human Relations
* Attend Citywide Parks Team to catch the presentation on the Tree project
* Met with Metro Councilor Robert Liberty, and with Multnomah County Commissioner Jeff Cogan. Discussed the Bonny Slope West (Area 93) concept planning process.
* Met with Metro President David Bragdon, to discuss Area 93 and the Headquarters Hotel
* Met with Chief Sizer to review Portland Police budget and precinct reorganization. Also talked by phone with Police Union president Scott Westerman on these issues.
* Weeded with my neighbors at the Holly Farm Park