Week of 3/9/09 - 3/14/09
* Meeting with Greg Peden, lobbyist for Merritt Paulson. Former Mayor Vera Katz, consultant for Major League Soccer/AAA baseball stadium proponents, awas sick and unable to attend. She talked with me during a recess at the hearing on Wednesday, asking, "are you convinced yet?", and smiled when I said I was not.
* Multiple meetings to prepare for budget presentations at Council
* Multiple budget presentations at Council
* Met with Juliet Hyams, NW District Association representative, and John Bradley of NWDA regarding concerns and issues in NW Portland, including the proposed urban renewal area around the Conway site, and the soccer/baseball proposal. John was on the Task Force.
* Visited Troutdale City Council, met with Councilor Norman Thomas (who is on the Mt. Hood Cable Regulatory Commission). Hot topics in Troutdale: unroadworthy autos (their code is even stricter than ours), and adding a seat on an advisory committee. Oh, and a street vacation on which Multnomah County Board members Ted Wheeler and Diane McKeen testified.
* Six hour hearing on soccer/baseball. Lost the vote 2-3.
* Attended Bridlemile Elementary School's 50th birthday party
* Met with staff on cellular facilities code updates. Public meeting on same due in April.
* Girls, Inc., "Power of the Purse" event dinner. Involved prancing across a stage with a young woman carrying a purse. And very interesting dinner conversation with Larry, John, Anna, Nicole, and Bobby.
* Stopped by Bureau of Emergency Communications staff retreat.
* All-my-staff brown bag lunch with all-Commissioner-Saltzman's staff
* Friendly House Auction and dinner with my friend Debbie Kaye
* Speech at the Immigrant and Refugee Community Organizers' Diversity event at City Hall. Stayed the whole morning because it was interesting.