OFFICE OF EQUITY
DRAFT WORK PLAN
- The Office will apply the definition and vision of equity from The Portland Plan. It will direct and evaluate City equity policy and coordinate an implementation strategy for the Equity Initiative Recommendations of The Portland Plan.
- The Office will build collaborative relationships with other bureaus, while maintaining accountability for elevating equity as a standard practice of business for the City.
- The Office will work, including working with the Diversity Development/Affirmative Action office, Title VI Civil Rights, Title II ADA, Disability program in the Office of Neighborhood Involvement, and the Office of Management and Finance and other departments as appropriate to create a comprehensive data collection and tracking system.
- The Office will review City policies and programs for consistency with equity goals and monitor City equity activities. It will provide guidance, education and technical assistance to other bureaus on sustainable methods to build capacity in achieving equitable outcomes and service as outlined in The Portland Plan.
- The Office will establish priorities, goals, objectives, and timelines for its work. These will include an initial focus leading with race/ethnicity, and working on issues of disability. Creation of a city-wide and/or region-wide initiative to eliminate disparities and promote social justice is needed. The Office will join with work already under way in this regard, as capacity becomes available.
- The Office will build on and learn from previous equity-building work.
- The Office will establish reasonable and attainable metrics to advance the City’s equity goals, using available tools and developing new implementation mechanisms as needed.
- The Office will develop and maintain a relationship of transparency and accountability with the community on equity initiatives.
- The Office will work to use resources efficiently and coordinate the existing equity-related initiatives and work to avoid duplication of effort or leaving urgent needs unmet. It will coordinate with external institutions, agencies, businesses, and community equity initiatives.
- The Office will establish an advisory system with community members and City staff, to provide recommendations, partner in the work, and uphold accountability on equity matters.