PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2005
August 16, 2005

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
August 16, 2005
 
Approved September 20, 2005
 
CRC Members Present:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Gwenn Baldwin, Michael Bigham, Loren Eriksson, Lewellyn Robison, Marcella Red Thunder, Jerry Spegman, Bob Ueland
 
City Staff Present: Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens  (IPR Director),  Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR)
 
Police Bureau Members Present:  Robert King (Portland Police Association)
 
Chair Miggins called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.
 
I.    Introductions 
 
II.   Gwenn Baldwin moved that the 7/19/05CRC minutes be accepted as submitted.  Bob Ueland seconded the motion.  Two misspellings were corrected and the third sentence in section IV was amended to read, “Bob Ueland made a motion to vote immediately on the vice chair nomination….”  The minutes were then accepted as amended with one abstention by Loren Eriksson, who was absent from the 7/19/05 meeting. 
 
III.  Jerry Spegman was unanimously elected CRC Vice-chair to replace Irma Valdez. 
 
IV.  Appeals Update.  Mike Hess informed the CRC that two new requests for appeal have been received.  Chair Miggins stated the pre-hearings on these appeals will be held in the October meeting.  
 
V.  Auditor Blackmer presented a summary of the recent audit of the Detective Division. 
 
VI.  Director’s Report
  • Most of Ms. Stevens’s time in her first month as IPR Director has been taken up with the day-to-day processing of complaints and the daily business of IPR, and meeting weekly with IAD.  Ms. Stevens has recently met with Gwenn Baldwin, Portland CopWatch, and the Bureau of Personnel.     
  • The Policy Work Group will be meeting tomorrow to look at the “top ten” policy issues identified at the last CRC meeting and to look at framing them as potential policy reviews.   Ms. Stevens would then ask CRC to narrow the issues down to a “top few” so that IPR staff can begin to gather raw data to aid in selecting the policies to be reviewed.
  • After getting a better feel for how much time the policy reviews will take, the next step will be for the CRC to identify IPR processes (e.g., intake investigations, rapid dismissals, etc.) that they would like to review. 
  • Several IPR/CRC protocols still need to be updated.  The protocols that still need to be reviewed will be brought before the CRC in future meetings.
  • In addition to Irma Valdez’s vacant seat, the current terms of Loren Eriksson, Hank Miggins, Jerry Spegman, and Bob Ueland’s will be up in December.  (Mr. Miggins stated that he will be available to apply for another term.)  Ms. Stevens is working with Auditor Blackmer to try to dovetail the CRC appointment and re-appointment schedule with that of other City boards and commissions. 
  • Ms. Stevens will provide CRC members with the mediator’s report regarding the pre-hearing process as soon as it is available.  
  • One of IPR’s charges is to provide quarterly reports.  Lauri Stewart has been tasked with developing a quarterly report in newsletter format that will also serve as a community outreach tool and will include basic statistics on a quarterly basis, volume of complaints, type of complaints, a note from the IPR Director and a note from the CRC Chair, frequently asked questions, information on how to file complaints/commendations, etc. 
  • Beginning tonight Lauri Stewart will provide the CRC with summaries regarding the Chief’s Forum, since there often is overlap between topics discussed in the Chief’s Forum and CRC issues.  Ms. Stewart’s presentations will include handouts of Police Bureau policy changes as they are issued.
  • Ms. Stevens would welcome any invitations to attend community outreach events.
 
VII.  Discussion with Community Members
 
Community members who participated in this discussion included Ruth Hander of and Madison South Neighborhood Association and Dan Handelman of Portland Central Northeast Neighbors CopWatch.   Alison Stoll, Director of Central Northeast Neighbors, was also present for a short time.  It was suggested that more advanced notice of meetings held in community locations might result in more community participation.   
 
VIII.  Discussion of progress toward CRC goals using the CRC Goals Matrix.  Several tactics have been implemented, including allowing time for public comment after each agenda item, ensuring that e-mails and letters addressed to the CRC from community members are forwarded to all CRC members, holding quarterly meetings outside of City Hall, and identifying ways to improve the appeal hearings process. 
 
 
IX.  Work Group Reports
 
A. Appeal Work Group Report – continued from last meeting (Bob Ueland, Chair)
 
Decision Points 5 and 6.  To assign two or three CRC members to present a case summary to the full committee at pre-hearings and hearings.  There was not a clear consensus on implementing this recommendation at this time.
 
  • Four members voted in favor of this recommendation (Loren Eriksson, Hank Miggins, Jerry Spegman, Bob Ueland).  
  • Three members voted against this recommendation:  (Gwenn Baldwin, Marcella Red Thunder, Lewellyn Robison), and one member abstained (Michael Bigham). 
 
Decision Point 7.  To configure the meeting room at pre-hearings and hearings to seem less confusing and less threatening to the appellant.  It was agreed that a new configuration will be attempted at the September hearing.
 
Decision Point 8.  To employ a facilitator to assess the hearing process in order to improve communications.   This recommendation has already been implemented for a pre-hearing and will be implemented for a hearing.
 
Decision Point 9.  To provide training for CRC members to enhance their communication and meeting process skills.   All members were in favor of this recommendation.
 
A recommendation to assess the “mediation in lieu of hearing” process after six months was deferred to the Mediation Work Group (Gwenn Baldwin – Chair, Michael Bigham, and Marcella Red Thunder) 
 
It was decided to continue the work of the Appeal Work Group.
 
B.  The Community  Advisory Council Work Group (Hank Miggins, Chair):  will resume meetings now that there is a new Director. 
 
C.  The Policy Work Group is scheduled to meet tomorrow (8/17/05). 
 
X.  New Business.  The next CRC meeting at a community location will take place in November.  The location will be announced.
 
XI.  Public Comments:  Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters), Dan Handelman (Portland CopWatch), and Freedom Child.
 
Meeting adjourned at approximately 7:45 p.m.