PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2005
July 19, 2005

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
July 19, 2005
 
Approved August 16, 2005
 
CRC Members Present:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Gwenn Baldwin, Michael Bigham, Lewellyn Robison, Marcella Red Thunder, Jerry Spegman, Bob Ueland
 
CRC Member Absent: Loren Eriksson
 
City Staff Present: Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens  (IPR Director), Pete Sandrock (IPR), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR)
 
Chair Miggins called the meeting to order at 5:38 p.m.
 
I.    Introductions 
 
II.   Bob Ueland moved that the 6/21/05 CRC minutes be accepted as submitted.  Marcella Red Thunder seconded the motion.  The minutes were accepted with one abstention from Lewellyn Robison, who was absent from the 6/21/05 meeting. 
 
III.  Director’s Report  (Leslie Stevens)
 
  • Two things the new Director wants to tackle right away are getting out in the community and developing some short-term and long-term  priorities for policy reviews.  
  • Auditor Blackmer announced that he has received a resignation letter from Irma Valdez.  (He read Ms. Valdez’s letter into the record.)
 
[Gwenn Baldwin arrived at this point.]
 
IV.  Bob Ueland nominated Jerry Spegman to replace Irma Valdez as vice-chair, and Mr. Spegman accepted.  Gwenn Baldwin stated that she would like more time to think about this and proposed postponing the election until the August meeting.   Bob Ueland made a motion to vote immediately on the vice-chair nomination, and Lewellyn Robison seconded this.  The motion was defeated by a vote of 3-3 with one abstention. 
 
            Yes:                 Miggins, Robison, Ueland
            No:                  Baldwin, Bigham, Red Thunder
            Abstain:            Spegman
 
Chair Miggins announced that the election of vice-chair would be placed on the August agenda.
V.  The CRC members individually expressed congratulations and welcomes to the new Director.  Several members applauded Director Stevens for her desire to reach out to the community.
 
VI.  Gwenn Baldwin presented the recommendations of the retreat follow-up work group.  In reviewing Goal 2, the work group agreed that the goal (“Recommend policy changes”) was more of a strategy.  They therefore modified the goal to read, “Reduce citizen dissatisfaction with the conduct of PPB officers,” which is the ultimate goal with regard to policy reviews.  The proposed strategies to reach this goal were:  1.) to recommend policy changes, as appropriate and 2.)  to identify and reduce aspects of the complaint process which lead to dissatisfaction with the conduct of PPB officers. 
 
Regarding the proposed tactic of having PARC evaluate the IAD investigation process Strategy 2, Tactic 2)  Auditor Blackmer commented that there is an existing contract with PARC with specific parameters.  It was suggested that the tactic be amended to read “independent agency outside of the City of Portland.” 
 
Bob Ueland made a motion to accept the recommendations of the Retreat Work Group with the suggested change.  Michael Bigham seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously. 
 
VII.  Lewellyn Robison presented a matrix that she developed for tracking progress on goals and strategies.  Bob Ueland made a motion to accept the matrix.  Gwenn Baldwin seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously. 
 
VIII.  For the record, Chair Miggins re-stated the CRC’s concerns regarding the Portland Police Bureau’s racial profiling policy.  Michael Bigham expressed concern that the Bureau is apparently collecting statistics and not doing anything about it.  Chair Miggins asked Director Stevens to extend an invitation to the Chief to attend a CRC meeting to discuss his plans with regard to this issue
 
IX.  Workgroup Reports
 
A.  Appeal Process Work Group
 
Bob Ueland, Chair of the Appeals Work Group, presented the recommendations of this work group.  He reviewed each of the nine “decision points” that emerged from the work group meetings.
 
Decision Point 1.  Provide support to the appellant prior to the pre-hearing/hearing regarding the process.   
 
After discussion, Dan Handelman, Debbie Aiona, and Marian Reese provided public input. 
 
The CRC agreed to accept this recommendation with some reservations about who would be the appropriate persons to provide this type of support.  Jerry Spegman clarified that the work group favored former CRC members as the most appropriate persons to provide support for appellants.   
 
Decision Point 2.  Move the pre-hearing/hearing to immediately following approval of the minutes unless the appellant requests a later time.
 
Richard Koenig provided public input.
 
The CRC agreed to accept this recommendation.
 
Decision Point 3.  After the prescribed statement is read at the pre-hearing/hearing, but before the case is presented to the committee, the Chair/designee will thank everyone for their participation and will describe the appeal process and procedure to be followed.
 
Auditor Blackmer suggested that it might be beneficial to mention to the appellant/public what materials the CRC members have reviewed in preparation for the pre-hearing or hearing.   
 
The CRC agreed to accept this recommendation.
 
Decision Point 4.  Upon completion of the pre-hearing/hearing, the Chair/designee will thank the participants and ensure the appellant understands the decision and provide guidance to the appellant on further action. 
 
Debbie Aiona, Dan Handelman, and Eric Terrell provided public input.
 
The CRC agreed to accept this recommendation.
 
Decision Point 7.  At pre-hearings/hearings configure the meeting room to seem less confusing and less threatening to the appellant. 
 
Director Stevens suggested a circular configuration as opposed to what might appear to be a “hot seat.”  
 
The CRC agreed to accept the recommendation of the work group to continue to work on reconfiguring the meeting room to make it more accommodating for the appellant.
 
Discussion of Decision Points 5, 6, 8, and 9 were deferred to a future meeting.
 
B.  Community Advisory Council Workgroup
 
Chair Miggins reported that this workgroup temporarily suspended meetings until the new Director was available.  Now that Director Stevens is on board, meetings will now resume.  The next meeting date has not yet been set.
 
C.  Policy Work Group
 
Chair Miggins asked for two volunteers to meet with him and the Director on a one-time ad hoc basis regarding the “top ten” policy issues.  Gwenn Baldwin and Bob Ueland volunteered.   
 
X. New Business
 
Marcella Red Thunder expressed concerns about an IPR intake interview she reviewed in preparation for the upcoming appeal hearing.  She thought that the intake investigator came across as dismissive to the complainant.  Ms. Red Thunder stressed the importance of the CRC members listening to intake recordings. 
 
Assistant Director Sandrock suggested that the CRC might consider auditing the intake interviews, the rapid dismissals, tort claim reviews, and mediations in addition to the areas that they have audited in the past.  Because of time and staffing limitations, Mr. Sandrock suggested limiting these “audits” to two of these areas.
 
XI.  Public Comments:  Dan Handelman (Portland CopWatch and Flying Focus Video), Eric Terrell, Richard Koenig, Freedom Child.
 
XII.  Wrap-up Comments:  Chair Miggins requested feedback from the mediator who observed the pre-hearing process during the last CRC meeting. 
 
Chair Miggins adjourned the meeting at 8:27 p.m.