PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2005
April 19, 2005

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
April 19, 2005
 
Approved May 17, 2005
 
CRC Members Present:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Michael Bigham, Gwenn Baldwin, Loren Eriksson, Marcella Red Thunder, Lewellyn Robison, Jerry Spegman, Bob Ueland,  Irma Valdez.
 
City Staff Present: Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Richard Rosenthal (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR), Linly Rees  (City Attorney’s Office)
 
The meeting was called to order by Chair Miggins at 5:35 p.m.
 
I.  Introductions 
 
II.  The minutes of the 3/15/05 CRC meeting were unanimously approved. (Motion to approve by Bob Ueland, seconded by Gwenn Baldwin.)
 
III. Director’s Report
 
  • Director Rosenthal has accepted the Denver Police/Fire Monitor position.  He will begin on 7/1/05
  • The recruitment for a new IPR Director has been extended two additional weeks.  The application deadline is now 5/2/05.  Finalists will meet with CRC and various other entities as outlined in a handout provided by Auditor Blackmer. 
  • Marcella Red Thunder, Jerry Spegman, and Mike Bigham, who attended a full day of training at CampWithycombe, gave their personal perspectives of the training.  They agreed that the training was very worthwhile.
  • Since there are new CRC members, there will be a re-evaluation of the top ten policy issues at the next CRC meeting.
  • The Director will follow up with Chief Foxworth on when he is going to meet with the protest litigants so that CRC may schedule a discussion of police policy with regard to nonpermitted protests.
  • The new tort claim ordinance was enacted on 3/30/05.  IPR is now assigning case numbers and conducting intake investigations on tort claims involving possible police misconduct.
  • Director Rosenthal will be updating the IPR/CRC Protocols in preparation for discussion and possible adoption at the next CRC meeting.  
  • There are no pending appeals at this time. 
  • As suggested at the CRC Retreat, Lauri Stewart is preparing foam boards for display at CRC meetings and hearings.
 
Gwenn Baldwin requested more information from IAD on their handling of the various allegations relating to the protest complaint that CRC sent back for more investigation.  The Director invited any CRC members with concerns about this to put their questions in writing for the Chief or the IAD Captain.
 
[Director Rosenthal left the meeting at this point due to family obligations.]
 
IV.  A video on racially biased policing was viewed.   The video was of a presentation to the Chief’s Forum by Dr. Lorie Fridell of the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF).   Dr. Fridell suggested in her presentation that the term “racial profiling” is generally defined as police stops based solely on race, but this definition is too narrow.  Based on her research, Dr. Fridell suggests using the term “racially biased policing,” which encompasses a broader definition of police officers inappropriately considering race or ethnicity in deciding how to respond to a situation.
 
Captain Rod Beard, representing Chief Foxworth, emphasized that racially biased policing continues to be a major concern of the Police Bureau and that Chief Foxworth intends to re-form a citizen advisory group to examine this issue.
 
Mr. Bigham asked Captain Beard if the history of individual officers is being looked at with regard to complaints of racial profiling.   Captain Beard replied that this is not presently being done because this could cause some officers to be reluctant to provide needed statistics.
 
Gwenn Baldwin noted that there continues to be a community perception of racial bias on the part of police officers.  Captain Beard emphasized that the Police Bureau and the police union are firmly opposed to racially biased policing and that the recommendations of PERF and StanfordUniversity on this issue are being looked at by the Police Bureau. 
 
Chair Miggins stated that this issue will be put on next month’s agenda for further discussion.
 
Public comment was invited, but no public comments were made. 
   
V.  CRC Workgroup Reports
 
  • Bob Ueland reported that there would be a meeting of the Appeal Review Workgroup on April 27 at 4:00 p.m.   The workgroup will be looking at the mediation mode as a possible way to make the appeal process a more satisfactory experience.  
  • Hank Miggins announced that Marcella Red Thunder has joined the Community Advisory Council (CAC) Workgroup.  Michael Bigham reported that the workgroup is discussing the optimum size of the CAC and which community groups to consider for possible membership.  The next meeting will be on April 26 at 3:00 p.m.
It was suggested that the minutes of the workgroups be e-mailed to the entire CRC.  Deputy Director Hess agreed to do so.    
 
VI.  New Business 
 
The next CRC meeting will be held in a community location in East Portland.
 
A workgroup was formed to complete the planning work that was begun at the CRC Retreat.  Gwenn Baldwin offered to chair this group.  Loren Eriksson, Hank Miggins, and Lewellyn Robison volunteered to work with her on this task.  
 
IX.  Public Comment:  Richard Koenig and Dan Handelman (Portland CopWatch)
 
The meeting was adjourned by Chair Miggins at 7:45 p.m.