Section 1. The Council finds:
1. Representatives of the City and the City of Portland Professional Employees Association (COPPEA) have signed a Tentative Agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of employment for certain represented employees for the period of July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2010.
2. The agreement meets the City’s bargaining interests by securing a three-year successor labor Agreement and agreeing to wage increases, health benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.
3. The agreement meets the City’s bargaining interests by crafting a revised formula for employee involvement in the cost of health benefits. Health care contributions by the City will be based, in part, on the Medical Care component of the Portland CPI-W as well as an integrated cost-sharing formula designed to maintain incentives for cost containment.
4. The agreement continues to apply the principles of total compensation as the basis for bargaining all monetary subjects and ties total compensation to the Consumer Price Index. General wage increases will continue to be tied to the Portland CPI-W.
5. In addition, the agreement continues the annual contribution by the City to the professional development fund jointly administered by the City and the COPPEA.
a. The Mayor and Auditor are authorized to execute a labor agreement between the City and the COPPEA relating to terms and conditions of employment of certain represented employees in the COPPEA bargaining unit.
b. Said contract to conform to the provisions in the Tentative Agreement attached to this Ordinance marked Exhibit "A"
c. This ordinance is a binding City policy.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists because delay would unnecessarily delay the orderly implementation of the provisions of the labor agreement; therefore, this ordinance shall be in force and effect from after its passage by the Council.
Emergency Ordinance No. 180761 passed by City Council and effective February 7, 2007.