MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN BUREAU OF DEVELOPMENT SERVICES AND OFFICE OF NEIGHBORHOOD INVOLVEMENT
Administrative Rule Adopted by Bureau Pursuant to Rule-Making Authority
Prior to July 1, 2003, the Neighborhood Inspections Team (NIT) was located in the Residential Inspections Division of the Bureau of Development Services (BDS). Effective July 1, 2003, portions of NIT were transferred to the Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI), and portions of NIT stayed in BDS but were transferred to the Code Compliance Division of BDS. In addition, the Noise section of BDS was transferred to ONI.
There currently exist a variety of processes and services that involve both staff and activities from both bureaus. This agreement provides for mutual help and cooperation during fiscal year 2003 - 04 to ensure that the work program continues unimpeded by the transfers. During the year the bureaus will work to identify those areas where services needed by one bureau are provided by the other and to determine how these should be handled in the future.
BDS and ONI agree that for the next year each bureau will work with the other to facilitate a determination of how interconnected services should be handled. BDS and ONI agree that during this year, except as otherwise specified, no money will be exchanged for the services provided for each other arising from the transfer of the NIT and Noise work units.
BDS and ONI agree to provide, and do hereby provide, each other with any authority necessary to enforce those portions of Portland Code as provided in the work programs of each section.
BDS and ONI agree to work cooperatively with each other to identify issues and to provide assistance to each other as needed to make this agreement effective.
Services provided by BDS for maintenance of the TRACS software program is not included in this agreement and will be provided for by separate agreement.
Except for TRACS, no funds have been exchanged other than those already agreed on prior to July 1, 2003, those included in the adopted FY"04 budget, and any that may be authorized in the future by the Commissioner's Office.
1. To authorize ONI staff to enforce provisions of Title 29 and Title 3.30 under the administration of BDS as necessary in the work performed by ONI.
2. To continue providing instruction and training for the existing plumbing class and to help with training necessary to keep building code certifications.
3. To authorize ONI staff to use and enforce fee provisions associated with Title 29 and Title 3.30 under the administration of BDS as necessary in the work performed by ONI.
4. To work with ONI staff to develop enforcement policies and other policies where similar work is done by both BDS and ONI.
5. To provide access to ONI to records maintained by BDS.
1. To provide assistance in preparing and obtaining search warrants for BDS inspectors.
2. To provide billing and lien assistance for BDS inspectors.
3. To authorize BDS inspectors to use the fees associated with Title 29 and Title 3 under the administration of ONI as necessary in the work performed by BDS.
4. To work with BDS staff to develop enforcement policies and other policies where similar work is done by both BDS and ONI.
5. To provide access to BDS to records maintained by ONI.
The above examples are illustrative only and are not intended to be exclusive. BDS and ONI agree to cooperate with each other in all areas where there is an overlap in services or where one bureau needs assistance from the other.
This agreement is made by the Bureau of Development Services and the Office of Neighborhood Involvement to be effective as of July 1, 2003. It shall be reviewed by June 30, 2004.
Upon review, this agreement shall be extended for the current fiscal year 2004 - 05 and shall be reviewed again by June 30, 2005.
Filed by Bureau of Development Services for inclusion in PPD September 29, 2004.
Signed by Bureau of Development Services Director July 14, 2004.
Signed by Office of Neighborhood Involvement Director July 8, 2004.