MANAGING FOR RESULTS PROPOSAL
Binding City Policy
WHEREAS, the City Auditor’s report #288 recommended the City adopt a structured system of management known as Managing for Results; and
WHEREAS, Managing for Results is part of a global movement to make government more efficient, effective and accountable; and
WHEREAS, Managing for Results requires a series of actions including setting long and short term goals, keeping goals in mind when allocating resources, managing programs to achieve results, and measuring performance and reporting results, and
WHEREAS, the City can build on its reputation for innovation in municipal management; and
WHEREAS, the City can further the accomplishment of strategic issues and strengthen Bureau manager and Council teamwork,
WHEREAS, the City Council recognizes there are opportunities to improve City management by integrating performance information into decision-making and management; and
WHEREAS, the City Council recognizes that the benefits of Managing for Results include:
- Maximizing the quantity and quality of City services,
- Helping improve the efficiency of City programs and the allocation of tax resources,
- Helping City managers plan and implement programs with City priorities in mind,
- Improving public accountability and building trust in government; and
WHEREAS, the City Council recognizes the importance of providing leadership in the implementation of a Managing for Results system,
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, The Office of Management and Finance (OMF) is directed to develop an implementation plan for Managing for Results using the City Auditor’s report #288 as a general framework. OMF should form a project management team including representatives from the City Auditor’s Office and the Bureau of Planning. The plan should:
- seek to build upon and integrate existing City planning, budgeting and reporting processes;
- strive for simplicity,
- provide for Bureau training and support,
- provide for sufficient time for implementation, and
- identify any one-time or on-going resources needed to implement Managing for Results.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, OMF is directed to appoint an advisory group of representatives from City bureaus to ensure that City bureaus participate and cooperate with OMF, the City Auditor’s Office, and the Bureau of Planning in order to develop and implement Managing for Results.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, OMF is directed to bring the proposed implementation plan before City Council for approval before July 1, 2003.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, This resolution constitutes binding city policy.
Resolution No. 36123
Adopted by the Council February 19, 2003.