It shall be unlawful to tow a vehicle from a private parking facility unless:
1. The private parking facility owner/operator gives the PPI tower express written authorization identifying the specific vehicle, and signed at the time of the tow request, as required by ORS 98.812 and 98.830; or,
2. The private parking facility owner/operator has signed an agreement authorizing the PPI tower to act as the agent of the parking facility owner/operator in selection of cars to be towed and the PPI tower signs an authorization for each tow identifying the specific vehicle, and signed at the time of the tow request, as required by ORS 98.812 and 98.830.
It shall be unlawful to tow a vehicle from a private parking facility unless the private parking facility meets the following signage requirements:
1. At least one sign shall be posted and readily visible at each entryway into the parking lot, not more than 10 feet from the public right of way or street edge. Such signs shall:
A. Be posted so that the center of the sign is not more than eight (8) feet nor less than four (4) feet above the ground; and
B. Be at least 18” x 24” in size; and
C. State that parking is prohibited, reserved or otherwise restricted; and
D. State who is authorized to park and the hours during which parking is restricted;
EXAMPLE: Parking for customers of “[ ]“ only during [ ] hours.
E. State that towing and storage of a vehicle will be at the vehicle owner’s expense; and
F. Prominently display the PPI tower’s name and 24 hour telephone contact number for release of a vehicle, and
G. Be maintained so as to remain unobstructed by any tree, shrub, bush, vehicle or other obstacle.
2. When a private parking facility is shared by multiple business operations, (i.e. shopping mall or office park) parking spaces must be marked, or signs posted, so as to indicate which spaces are reserved for each business.
3. PPI towers may request an exception to the rules for sign location. Such request must be made in writing and offer an alternative posting for approval.
4. Fire lanes from which vehicles may be towed shall be marked in compliance with Portland Uniform Fire Code (PUFC 901 and 902)