PRIVATE PROPERTY IMPOUND TOWER REGISTRATION
Administrative Rule Adopted by Bureau of Licenses
PPI towers shall submit to the Director an application form, provided by the Bureau of Licenses Towing Coordinator and containing:
1. The legal business name to be used for all PPI towing, business address, addresses of all storage facilities, telephone numbers and fax number of the PPI tower, dispatch service name, street address and telephone number, e-mail address, if applicable, emergency contact telephone; and
2. The names of all owners, part-owners, partners, principal parties, officers, directors, agents, investors, or any other persons having a financial interest in the business activities regulated by this Section; and
3. The name of the owner or employee who is responsible for complaint resolution; and
4. Proof of insurance coverage in the amounts specified in PCC 7.24.013.I, including the name of the insurance provider, policy number, expiration date, agent’s name, agent’s telephone number, list of insured trucks; and
5. A list of all drivers and any staff having contact with vehicles or vehicle owners, including the following information:
A. First, middle and last name
B. Social Security Number
C. Date of Birth
D. Any other information necessary for a criminal history check.
6. A list of all tow trucks to be used for PPI tows; and
7. Such other information as the Director may require.
Retention and Inspection of Records
In the event that a complaint is received by the Towing Coordinator, the subject PPI tower shall, within 24 hours of written notice from the City, provide documentation of the tow. Such documentation may include, but not be limited to, copy of the tow invoice, copy of a patrol contract or specific authorization, and photograph(s) taken at the time of the tow. Such documentation shall be retained in retrievable form by the PPI tower for a minimum of three (3) years from the date of the tow.
Equipment and Facilities Inspections
Except as provided in 7.24.013.E.1, the Director shall cause the PPI tower’s towing equipment, dispatching and storage facilities to be inspected prior to issuance of a new PPI permit. If it is determined that the PPI tower complies with all of the requirements of this PPI Code, the Director shall issue a permit. If any aspect of the insurance, equipment, dispatching or storage facility does not comply with the requirements of this PPI Code, the permit shall be denied until all deficiencies are corrected.
Towers registered under this PPI Code shall maintain towing equipment, dispatching and storage facilities as follows:
1. Towing equipment.
A. All tow vehicles shall be maintained for safe operation and to prevent damage to towed vehicles. All equipment used shall be in good working condition and free of excessive wear.
B. At a minimum,all tow trucks used to perform PPI tows shall beequipped as follows:
1. Permanently identified on each side of the vehicle with tower’s name, city, state, and telephone clearly marked in letters not less than 3“ high.
2. A four-way emergency flashing system and at least one flashing amber light (or other color permitted by state law) at least five (5) inches in diameter, mounted high on the tow vehicle.
3. Upper work lights; a light mounted behind the cab of the tow vehicle which is capable of illuminating the area of the tow under dark or foggy conditions.
4. Tow lights; portable auxiliary brake lights, turn signal, and tail light for use on towed vehicles.
5. Tires, adequate in size and rating for the size and weight of the tow vehicle, with not less than 3/32nds inch of tread and mounted on rims secured with the correct number of lug bolts and nuts in accordance with factory specifications.
6. Tow dollies.
7. Two-way radio equipment or cellular telephone capable of communicating with the PPI tower’s dispatcher at all times.
2. Dispatching facilities. At a minimum, the tower’s dispatching facility shall be equipped as follows:
A. Radio equipment or cellular telephone system capable of communicating with the PPI tower’s tow vehicle(s) at all times.
B. At least one telephone line for voice communication.
C. A facsimile machine on a dedicated telephone line set up and capable of sending and receiving 24-hours per day.
D. A PPI tower’s dispatching facility may be located in two or more different locations, or may be contracted to another firm, provided:
1. Each location is equipped with required facilities and/or equipment as specified in this section; and
2. Each location is capable of communicating with the tow drivers at all times; and
3. At least one such location has a dispatcher on duty at all times; and,
4. The contracted or secondary dispatcher can reach the PPI tower’s primary dispatcher or other PPI tower official at all hours.
3. Storage facilities. All PPI tower storage facilities used for storing vehicles towed from private parking facilities shall be equipped as follows:
A. The storage facility must be secure, protected and located within a secure fence at least six feet high topped with at least 3 strands of taut barbed wire; and,
B. All gates, doors and other openings into the storage facility shall be equipped with locks and secured at all times; and,
C. All fences, walls or surrounds shall be free of holes or weak spots which could allow unauthorized entry; and,
D. The PPI tower’s name, telephone number, address and regular business hours shall be posted, in a location clearly visible from the public right-of-way, on a sign in letters not less than three inches high; and
E. Towing and storage rates for private property impound towing shall be posted in a conspicuous place and manner at the location where vehicles are released, and shall not exceed the rates established by the Bureau Director; and,
F. PPI towers shall establish locations for storage of towed vehicles in such a way that no vehicle will be towed a greater distance than is necessary and reasonable.
Revised document filed in PPD April 20, 2006.
Submitted for inclusion in PPD April 23,2004.
Originally adopted by Bureau of Licenses as Administrative Rule 013.03-1.