A. Operators responding to the complaints of parkers or registered owners of vehicles must follow these guidelines:
1. The operator must be available by telephone, fax and e-mail to the public during normal business hours to accept and respond to public complaints. The operator must have voicemail and must respond to telephone messages by the end of the next business day.
2. The operator must respond in writing to written complaints within 10 days from the date the operator received the complaint.
3. The operator’s written response must include the mailing address of the Revenue Bureau and a statement that the parker or registered owner of the vehicle may submit a written complaint to the Bureau if attempts to resolve the complaint with the operator are unsuccessful.
4. All efforts to collect the penalty and related amounts must be suspended upon the filing of a complaint with the operator or the Director, pending final resolution.
5. Penalties must not increase from the time a complaint is received by the operator or the Director, pending final resolution.
6. The operator must void the penalty if the parker or registered owner provides evidence within 30 days of issuance of the penalty notice that the parking fee payment was made at the time the vehicle was parked at the facility or that the parker was authorized to park.
7. The operator must notify appropriate credit agencies immediately upon voiding any penalty.
B. Upon receipt of a complaint the Director shall conduct an investigation.
1. Upon a finding by the Director or Bureau staff that a penalty is invalid, the operator must immediately cancel the penalty, cease all efforts to collect the penalty, and refund any payments that have been made.
2. If the investigation determines that a violation of this Chapter has occurred, the Director will initiate remedies provided in this Chapter.
3. The Director shall not investigate complaints by parkers regarding the issuance of a notice of demand for payment of penalties filed any time after 90 days from the date of the first mailed penalty payment letter.