(Amended by Ordinance No. 185496, effective August 10, 2012.)
A. Permit Required. No person may drive a for-hire transportation vehicle without a valid, current for-hire transportation driver’s permit issued under Chapter 16.40.
B. Application Documents Required. Applicants for a for-hire transportation driver’s permit must submit to the Administrator the items listed below. The failure to submit any of the items listed will result in a denial of the permit:
1. a completed application on a form approved by the Administrator;
2. a copy of the applicant’s current driver’s license;
3. a copy of the applicant’s non-Oregon driving record for any year in which the applicant was not a resident of Oregon during the last 10 years, regardless of the jurisdiction; and
4. if necessary, any information that reasonably relates to the application or is a clarification of information provided to the Administrator.
C. Photographs. Applicants will be photographed by the Bureau upon submittal of the driver permit application. The photograph then becomes a part of the applicant’s submittal package.
D. Fees Required. Applicants must submit a nonrefundable application fee in the amount listed in the Fee Table in Section 16.40.590.
E. Age, Criminal History, Driving History and Insurability Requirements. Applicants for a driver’s permit may not be issued a permit if any of the following conditions exist:
1. The applicant has a felony of any kind in the 10 years preceding the submission of the application;
2. The applicant has a felony involving physical harm or attempted physical harm to a person, regardless of when the conviction occurred;
3. During the 5-year period preceding the submission of the application, the applicant has been convicted of any criminal offense involving:
a. any misdemeanor involving theft, robbery, burglary, assault, sex crimes, drugs, prostitution, or weapons; or
b. any traffic crime, including but not limited to: driving under the influence of intoxicants, reckless driving, attempt to elude a police officer, or leaving the scene of an injury accident;
4. During the 5-year period preceding the submission of the initial application, the applicant had greater than 10 traffic infractions as defined in ORS 801.557; greater than five serious traffic violations as defined in ORS 801.477; greater than five motor vehicle accidents that are required to be reported to the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to ORS 811.720; or, greater than five of any combination of serious traffic violations or motor vehicle accidents as provided above;
5. During the 10-year period preceding the filing of the initial application, the applicant’s driving privileges were suspended or revoked by any governing jurisdiction as a result of a driving-related incident;
6. The applicant has more than two traffic violations or infractions of any kind within the previous 12 months from the date of the application;
7. The applicant has more than four infractions of any kind within the previous 12 months from the date of the application;
8. The applicant does not have at least 2 years’ worth of continuous driving experience in aUnited Statesjurisdiction immediately prior to the date of the application’s submission;
9. The applicant is less than 21 years old; or
10. The applicant is unable to obtain car insurance for any reason.
F. Driver Safety and Customer Service Training Requirements. Applicants must successfully complete the following training and classes within 6 months of issuance of the driver’s permit:
1. A Bureau-approved driver safety program; and
2. A Bureau-approved customer service training class.
G. Driver Knowledge and Skills Testing Requirements. Applicants must successfully complete each of the following tests as administered by the Bureau before a permit can be issued:
2. Relevant City Code provisions and Administrative Rules; and
3. Portland-area attractions.
H. CPR Training for SAT Drivers. In addition to all other requirements found in Section 16.40.090, SAT drivers must have CPR and advanced first aid certifications within 6 months of issuance of the driver’s permit.
I. The Director is authorized to provide by Administrative Rule the special permitting process for round trip medical transportation from distant areas for service provided by medical brokerages under contract with the Oregon Health Authority.