EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN 2008-2012 - EXTENSION
Binding City Policy
Section 1. The Council finds:
1. The historic experience of the City of Portland (the City), in providing the opportunity for full and equal participation of women and minorities in employment opportunities offered by the City under Affirmative Action, has demonstrated the value of such efforts with regard to increasing the effectiveness of the workforce and improving the work environment in the City; and
2. The development and implementation of an effective Affirmative Action Plan linked to a comprehensive business strategy of diversity development provides the best opportunity for the City to improve the delivery of services to its diverse citizens; and
3. This City Affirmative Action Plan uses census and City personnel data to compute availability of women and minorities within various job groups and identifies where underutilization may be occurring, indicating a need for additional affirmative action efforts; and
4. Compliance with Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity legislation, rules, and policies establishes direction, provides guidelines and supports organization change, increases diversity and cultural competency in the workforce, and reduces discrimination and harassment in the workplace; and
5. The City is a recipient of federal funding and is subject to review under various Equal Employment Opportunity compliance guidelines in accordance with Executive Order 11246, as amended 30 F.R. 12319, and title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
a. The City of Portland 2008-2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan is extended for an additional one year to June 30, 2013, and shall be annually reviewed and updated and/or revised as needed.
b. The City of Portland 2008-2012 Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan takes precedence over any existing plans relating to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employment practices.
c. This ordinance is binding City policy.
Link to BHR-16.02 - Equal Employment Opportunity Affirmative Action Plan 2008-2012
Ordinance No. 185123, passed by City Council January 25, 2012 and effective Feburary 24, 2012.