(Amended by Ordinance Nos. 177688 and 185076, effective December 14, 2011.)
A. The Committee shall consist of nine citizens. The Committee members shall be appointed as follows:
1. The Director shall solicit applications from the Office of Neighborhood Involvement, the seven Neighborhood Coalition offices, Mayor and commissioners' offices, PPB advisory committees, and the general public.
2. The City Auditor shall appoint a committee that shall recommend to the Auditor the appropriate number of nominees to fill impending vacancies. The committee shall consist of three CRC representatives, either past or not applying for reappointment, two members of the community, and the Director. Three of the committee members, including one CRC representative and the Director, shall serve as the interview panel.
3. Selection criteria shall include a record of community involvement, passing a criminal background check performed by an agency other than the Bureau, and absence of any real or perceived conflict of interest. The Mayor and commissioners may each submit an applicant who may be given preference over others of equivalent background and qualifications.
4. The Auditor shall recommend nominees to Council for appointment.
5. In the event a majority of the Council fails to appoint a person nominated under the provisions of City Code Section 3.21.080 the Auditor shall initiate the process again within 30 days after the Council action.
6. In selecting Committee members, consideration shall be given to the current composition of the Committee and appointments should be made that will cause the group to best reflect the demographic make-up of the community.
B. The Committee members shall:
1. Participate in orientation and training activities that may include review of Bureau and IPR procedures, attending the Bureau Citizens' Academy, ride-alongs with officers, and training on investigative practices.
2. Each serve a term of three years, subject to reappointment by Council. Upon expiration of the term, a committee member shall serve until re-appointed or replaced.
3. Attend committee meetings or provide an explanation in advance for an absence.
4. Serve staggered terms to better ensure continuity. Four members of the Committee shall be appointed to one year terms in July 2001.
5. Select a chair from among their members. Adopt such operating policies and procedures as necessary to carry out their duties.