BIGBELLY SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT
Administrative Rule Adopted by Bureau of Planning and Sustainability Pursuant to Rule-Making Authority
Sponsorship Policy Requirements
1. In order to preserve the City’s reputation and avoid public controversy, the following types of third parties shall not be eligible to participate in the Big Belly sponsorship program: Any business or organization that restricts membership or access based upon any category protected under the City’s civil rights ordinance or state or federal law and/or any business or organization that is not legally open to, or may not legally sell its products or provide its services to, citizens of all ages.
2. The City expressly retains control over any speech on Big Belly containers, which is the City’s speech. Based upon the City’s experience and judgment, advertisements on Big Belly containers would not further and could interfere with the program’s primary purpose of providing public waste collection as a public benefit, and the secondary purpose of enhancing the cohesive look and feel of public spaces while respecting public property and the public right of way.
3. No portion of the BigBelly container shall display an advertisement. The City will recognize sponsorship on the container only in the sponsorship area on the container as shown in Exhibit A; logos should be approximately 4 inches tall by 6 inches wide and cannot be materially larger.
4. The City’s recognition of sponsors shall consist of text of sponsor name, including font treatment, and logo, but shall not include any additional images, corporate slogans, contact information or text. Sponsors may elect to provide the same allowable information from a non-profit organization of their choice as long as the non-profit organization meets the criteria for sponsorship in the rest of this policy and provides services within the City of Portland.
5. The City shall consider and may allow the placement of decorative photographic images on Big Belly containers if the City determines that such images are iconic or representative of the City of Portland or the State of Oregon, that such images are not advertisements and that such images should appropriately be adopted as the City's speech. If any Sponsor wishes to propose the use of any such image on a sponsored Big Belly, the Sponsor shall first provide the image to the City for its review and approval, together with Sponsor's representation that the image is legally available for such use and that such use will not violate the rights of any third parties (such as copyright or trademark rights).The City shall have sole and final discretion to determine whether to permit and adopt such decorative images as City speech on any Big Belly container. These images shall be placed only in the graphics areas on the container as shown in Exhibit A.
6. Sponsorship in or on City property, media, web sites or in the public right-of-way must have no adverse effect on public safety and must minimize City liability.
7. Sponsorship in conflict with any City policy of procedure shall not be accepted.
I hereby affirm that I have read and understand the Sponsorship Policy. By signing this I further affirm that I meet the conditions and agree to abide by the policy.
Signature Sponsoring Business Name
Sponsoring Business Address
Note: Exhibit B. Affirmation of Legal Right to Use Images is required if Sponsor’s proposed images have not been approved previously by the City of Portland, Bureau of Planning and Sustainability.
Please submit signed form to:
City of Portland, Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
Attn: Kevin Veaudry Casaus
1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 1700
Or fax to 503-823-4562
Link to Exhibit A - BigBelly Sponsorship Area (PDF Document, 58 kb)
Link to Exhibit B - Affirmation of Legal Right to Use Images (PDF Document, 25 kb)
Adopted by Director of Bureau of Planning and Sustainability and filed for inclusion in PPD October 31, 2011.