DRUG AND ALCOHOL POLICY AND PROCEDURE
Binding City Policy
The Council finds:
1. The City of Portland recognizes illegal drug use and excessive use of legal drugs and alcohol as a threat to the public welfare and the health, safety and productivity of the employees of the City.
2. The City of Portland has a strong commitment to its employees to provide a safe work environment and to promote high standards of employee fitness. Consistent with the intent of this commitment, the City establishes this policy regarding drug and alcohol abuse.
3. While the City of Portland has no intention of interfering with the private lives of its employees, the City expects its employees to report to work in a condition to perform their duties in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
4. It is the goal of this policy to establish and maintain a work environment that is free from the effects of drug and alcohol abuse.
5. The policy and procedures are attached to this Ordinance marked Exhibit "A" which by this reference are made a part hereof.
6. The City of Portland has completed its bargaining obligations under the law by bargaining the impact of this policy with the DCTU, Recreation, BOEC and COPPEEA bargaining units.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council:
a. Adopts the Drug & Alcohol Policy
* and related Procedures
* for General Employees of the City of Portland and applicants for certain classified positions in the City.
b. Directs the Personnel Director to sign the Drug Policy Agreements
* with the affected bargaining units and implement the Procedures herein adopted.
Ordinance No. 166997, passed by Council and effective September 29, 1993.
Filed for inclusion in PPD December 15, 2003.