PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2011
March 9, 2011

Minutes

Citizen Review Committee

March 9, 2011

 

Date Approved: April 13, 2011

 

Meeting Location: Lovejoy Room, 2nd Floor, Portland City Hall 

 

Chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm.

 

Introductions and Welcome

 

CRC Members Present: Michael Bigham (Chair), Jamie Troy (Vice-Chair), Jeff Bissonnette (Recorder), Hank Miggins, Andre Pruitt, Ayoob Ramjan, Rochelle Silver, Steve Yarosh

 

CRC Members Absent: Loren Eriksson (excused)

 

City staff: Constantin Severe (IPR Assistant Director)

 

Police Bureau:  Captain Dave Famous (IA), Lieutenant Chris Davis (IA), Lieutenant Robert King (Training Division)

 

Community/Media: Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch and Flying Focus Video), Regina Hannon (Portland Copwatch), Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters), Kalei Luyben, Ed Luyben, Ann Brayfield, Lelah Doyle, David Curtis, Denis Theriault (Portland Mercury), Devin Eskew (KPTV Fox 12)

 

Approval of Minutes of the 2/9/11CRC Meeting

 

Mr. Bissonnette moved to approve the minutes.  Mr. Troy seconded.  The minutes were approved by a vote of 7-0.  Mr. Miggins abstained.    

 

Director’s Report (Assistant Director Severe)

 

Independent Police Review (IPR) Division Work Plan / Accomplishments:

 

Reminder:  IPR Director Baptista will be out-of-the-office until Monday, 5/9/11.  Assistant Director Constantin Severe will be directing IPR in her absence.   

 

CRC New Member Orientation: IPR Community Outreach Coordinator Irene Konev and Assistant Director Severe are planning an orientation program for new and returning CRC members.  The program includes three public sessions: 3/16/11 and 3/23/11 from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm and on 4/13/11 from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm.

 

IPR Community Outreach

 

 

Community Outreach Coordinator Irene Konev attended and networked at the Philippine American Chamber of Commerce Monthly Networking Night and the Portland Commission on Disability Open House.  She engaged in two tabling opportunities at Portland State University: Oregon Students of Color Coalition Conference and Vaginal Monologues production.  Ms. Konev also networked at the reception for Esperanza Spalding at City Hall.

 

Ms. Konev planned outreach strategies with the staff of the Highland Christian Center and the Minority Evaluator Program Coordinator.  IPR Investigator Judy Taylor and Ms. Konev presented at the Tri-county Domestic Violence Director’s Network meeting.  In addition, Ms. Konev presented to the staff of JOIN (a homeless organization).

 

Through the Youth Violence Prevention Partnership of Multnomah County Health Department, Ms. Konev presented to two youth programs: Helensview High School and Native American Youth and Family Center’s youth.

 

Assistant Director Severe attended the quarterly networking event of Say Hey Northwest.  

 

Ms. Konev and CRC member Dr. Rochelle Silver held a one-hour training for the staff of the Gateway Domestic Violence Center, answered questions, and heard community concerns on policing.

 

CRC member Dr. Rochelle Silver joined Ms. Konev for a tabling event at the Fix-it Fair at Jefferson High School, informed the public about IPR/CRC, and focused on recruiting women for CRC.

 

IPR and IAD Caseloads:  See caseload tables in Director’s Report.

 

CRC Chair’s Report (Chair Bigham)

 

Chair Bigham and Vice-chair Troy met with the City Auditor and discussed support for CRC and CRC’s standard of review.   

 

CRC Retreat (Vice-chair Troy)

 

The CRC Retreat Subcommittee has met to begin discussion of the 2011 CRC retreat.  It was agreed that it will be a day retreat at a location to be decided.  IPR will provide lunch.  The retreat will tentatively take place on a Saturday or a Sunday between April 16 and May 8.  CRC members were asked to look at their calendars and send Mr. Troy an email by next Wednesday (3/16/11) informing him which days will work for them.  A date will then be selected that will work for most persons possible.  The retreat will be open to the public and will be publicly announced after a time and location are determined.  Topics for the retreat will include continuation of the orientation for new CRC members; a presentation by a guest speaker (possibly the counterpart of the CRC chairperson from another police oversight agency such as Seattle or Eugene); definition of CRC’s role as framed by the ordinance and current protocols; and brainstorming for two or three achievable goals for CRC for the next two years.  Ideas for other possible topics are welcomed.

 

Guest Speaker

 

Lieutenant Robert King of the PPB Training Division made a presentation about recent developments pertaining to less-lethal options being considered by the Police Bureau. 

 

Old Business

 

Tracking List:  Mr. Bissonnette gave an update on the Tracking List.  He reviewed and reorganized the Tracking List based on active and inactive issues.  Dr. Silver said that the Retreat Committee has suggested that CRC could go over each item on the Tracking List at the next CRC retreat.  Mr. Miggins noted that many items on the Tracking List are specific to CRC workgroups, notably the Outreach Workgroup.  It was suggested that the workgroups address these items. 

 

Dr. Silver and Mr. Miggins noted that the room configuration for CRC meetings needs to be readdressed. 

 

New Business

 

Mr. Bissonnette asked about a specific IA investigation that was significantly older than any other IA investigations.  Lieutenant Davis explained that this was an incident that took place over 910 days ago that IA has recently decided to investigate.  

 

Workgroup Updates

 

Appeals Workgroup (Mr. Troy):  Last meeting was 2/22/11.  At the last meeting, current Appeal Process Advisors (APAs) were invited to discuss the pros and cons of the current system and whether APAs should have a greater advocacy role.  At the next meeting, the workgroup will continue to discuss the role of APAs.  The next two meetings will be on 3/21/11 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Mr. Troy’s office. 

 

Outreach Workgroup (Mr. Miggins):  The workgroup continues working on plans for a third public forum.  The next forum will be some time between 5/15/11 and 5/27/11. 

The exact date will be decided after a location is secured.  The Outreach Workgroup will not schedule its next meeting until the location for the public forum has been secured.

 

Protocol Workgroup (Mr. Miggins):  Last meeting was cancelled due to an anticipated snowstorm.  The next meeting will be on 3/10/11 at 5:00 p.m. in Mr. Troy’s office.      

 

Recurring Audit Workgroup (Mr. Ramjan):  The workgroup’s final report on Service Improvement Opportunities has been posted on the IPR/CRC website.  The next thing this workgroup will be looking at is dismissals.  The date of the next meeting is yet to be determined and will be sent out via email.    

 

Taser/Less-lethal Force Workgroup (Mr. Bigham):  Last meeting was on 2/15/11.  The workgroup discussed the executive session in which a specific case was looked at.  IPR Senior Management Analyst Derek Reinke presented an analysis of case review.  The workgroup decided that they would like to review three 2008 tort cases involving Tasers.  The next meeting will be on 4/5/11 at 11:00 a.m. 

 

There was a reminder that the April CRC meeting will begin at 4:30 p.m. (one hour earlier than usual).  Election of CRC officers will take place at the April meeting. 

 

Public Comment

 

Mr. Handelman strongly urged CRC not to hold CRC meetings at police precincts. Mr. Handelman noted that there was no mention of appeals in the IPR Director’s Report.  Mr. Handelman also expressed some concerns about the RFP process for review of police shootings and deaths in custody.

 

Ms. Aiona encouraged CRC to become more involved in the review process. 

 

(In response to Mr. Handelman’s question about appeals, Mr. Severe stated that three cases are currently eligible for appeal.)

 

Wrap-up Comments  

 

Mr. Miggins and Mr. Bissonnette agreed that CRC would like to have a more active role in reviewing and commenting on the RFP process and the resulting contract for review of shootings and deaths in custody. 

 

Mr. Bissonnette thanked everyone for their congratulations on the birth of his son.

 

Dr. Silver and Chair Bigham suggested that the City Auditor be invited to give a presentation to CRC about how CRC is notified and utilized with regard to RFPs.   

 

Adjournment

 

Chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 7:45 p.m.