PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2009
September 15, 2009

Minutes

Citizen Review Committee

September 15, 2009

 

Date Approved: October 20, 2009

 

Meeting Location: Lovejoy room, Portland City Hall

 

CRC Members Present: Michael Bigham (Chair), Loren Eriksson, JoAnn Jackson, Mark Johnson, Hank Miggins, Lewellyn Robison, Rochelle Silver

 

City staff: LaVonne Griffin-Valade (City Auditor), Mary-Beth Baptista (IPR Director), Constantin Severe (IPR), Michael Hess (IPR), Shannon Callahan (Commissioner Saltzman’s Office)

 

Police Bureau:  Assistant Chief Brian Martinek, Captain David Famous (IAD), Lieutenant Eric Schober (IAD), Lynn Courtney (IAD), Lieutenant Edward Hamann (Chief’s Staff)

 

Community/Media:  Dan Handelman (Portland CopWatch), Regina Hannon (Portland CopWatch), Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters), Richard Koenig, Patrick Dinan

 

               I.      Chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm.

 

               II.      Introductions and welcome.

 

               III.      Approval of 8/18/09 minutes: Mr.Eriksson moved that the minutes be approved. Ms. Jackson seconded. Motion passed.

 

               IV.      Guest Speaker: Assistant Chief Brian Martinek

 

Assistant Chief Martinek discussed the recent restructuring of Portland Police Bureau precincts from five precincts to three precincts, which will realize a savings of approximately $3.5 million in the Police Bureau’s budget, thus accommodating approximately most of their required five percent budget cut. The success of the restructuring was a result of effective collaboration between the Police Bureau and the Bureau of Emergency Communication.  It was expected that the restructuring would cost in excess of $195,000, but the Police Bureau spent only $105,000 on the move.  In the three months since the redistricting took place, the average call response time for the police has decreased. 

 

                V.      Director’s Report (Director Baptista)

 

IPR Work Plan:

 

> CRC Nominations: Nominees must pass a background check that will likely take 4 weeks.  Due to the short time frame in which CRC nominees had to submit their information, the date /time for appointment by City Council has changed. The rescheduled date for appointment and reception is October 22 at 2 p.m. All of the nominees will be invited to attend the October 20 CRC meeting/appeal hearing.

 

> Support the CRC workgroups:  Assist the “IPR Structure Review” workgroup to produce a final product by fall of 2009. 

 

IPR Accomplishments:

 

> CRC Appeals Follow Up Phone Calls:  On August 21st, IPR investigators began making follow up calls to appellants regarding their decision not to file an appeal.  To date, nine calls have been made. Three complainants did not respond to voice or email messages; two complainants’ phones were no longer in service and IPR had no other contact information; and one person did not feel that an appeal would change the decision.  Three complainants stated they did not get the disposition letter.  (However, only one of the three had a change of address.)  All three were mailed another copy of the letter, with an appeal form enclosed, and were given a new deadline for appeal. 

 

Community Outreach:

 

> Outreach activities for Irene Konev, IPR Community Outreach Coordinator, for August consisted of attending festivals, events, and staff meetings to provide awareness and information of IPR and CRC. Events attended were: National Night Out at Lents Park, Portland Woman’s Crisis Line Gala, and Say Hey Northwest.  Meetings attended were Sexual Minority Roundtable, Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs, Office of Human Relations Community and Police Relations.  Ms. Konev also attended a resource fair for the developmentally disabled population and networked with agencies such as Oregon Mentor Brokerage, Inclusion, Arc Brokerage and Independence Northwest, Educate Ya, Street Roots, and others.

 

> Ms. Konev also arranged for the taping of IPR/CRC with Portland Community Media and attended a class on brochure design. She arranged a meeting with CRC member Rochelle Silver and Officer Deanna Wesson for understanding the work with vulnerable populations.  Ms. Konev applied for and was accepted for co-facilitator training for the Dialogues on Truth and Reconciliation Committee through the Office of Human Relations.  

 

Appeals: Appeal of IPR/IAD Case #2008-C-0150 will be heard at the October 20 CRC meeting.

 

IPR Caseload: IPR caseload has significantly increased due to normal increase in summer months, vacations of IPR staff, and loss of a 0.5 FTE investigator position due to budget cuts.

 

Following the Director’s Report, Mr. Eriksson suggested that CRC might consider requesting that the City Council restore the 0.5 FTE IPR investigator position. 

 

               VI.     Case review of IPR/IAD Case #2008-C-0150

 

Ms. Silver stated that she did not see anything in the IAD investigation addressing where the officer’s flashlight was at the time of the incident. Captain Famous agreed to review the investigative files and provide an answer. 

 

         VII.    CRC Letter Regarding the Police Bureau’s Findings on August 18 Appeal

 

Mr. Miggins stated that a letter had been drafted by an ad hoc group of CRC members regarding the Police Bureau’s findings on the August 18 appeal of IPR/IAD Case #2008-C-0100. After discussion on to whom the letter should be addressed, Ms. Silver made a motion that the letter be addressed to Assistant Chief Martinek with a copy to Chief Sizer.  Mr. Johnson seconded the motion. During public testimony, Ms. Hannon recommended that the complainant should also be copied on the letter and that the letter should be gender neutral.  Mr. Johnson then proposed an amendment to the original motion that the complainant be copied on the letter.  Ms. Silver seconded the proposed       amendment. The amendment passed by a vote of 5-2.

 

            Yes: Bigham, Eriksson, Jackson, Johnson, Silver

            No:   Miggins, Robison

 

The original motion to address the letter to Assistant Chief Martinek with a copy to Chief Sizer passed by a vote of 6-1.

 

            Yes: Bigham, Eriksson, Jackson, Johnson, Robison, Silver

            No:   Miggins,

 

               VIII.     Script for the CRC Chair to read to the appellant at a hearing.

 

Chair Bigham stated that he would like to re-write the script that is read to the appellant at the beginning of a hearing to better explain the hearing process and the possible actions that CRC may take on the Police Bureau findings. Mr. Bigham welcomed suggestions from anyone who has any suggestions on the script re-write.

             

                 IX.      Workgroup Updates

 

       Case Handling Workgroup: Has not met.

 

        Bias-based Policing Workgroup: Has not met.

 

IPR Structure Review Workgroup (Ms. Jackson). Last meeting was on 9/14/09.  Additional comments in the margin were discussed. 

 

> Next meeting: 10/8/09, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., 1st Floor Auditor’s Conference Room:  Agenda:

 

Outreach Workgroup (Mr. Miggins and Mr. Eriksson):  Last two meetings were on 8/25/09 and 9/14/09. 

 

> Next meeting: to be determined.

 

PARC Report Review Workgroup (Mr. Eriksson). Last meeting was on 9/10/09. The workgroup continued its assessment of the Police Bureau’s response to PARC recommendations. Lieutenant Patrick Walsh of the Office of Professional Standards has attended the last two meetings, and his participation has been very helpful. 

 

> Next meeting: 9/24/09 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Audit Services Library.  

                               

Protocol Workgroup (Ms. Robison).  Last meeting was on 8/31/09. The workgroup continued work on revisions to Protocols 5.05, 5.07, and 5.18.       

 

> Next meeting: 9/23/09 at 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. in the Audit Services                                   Library. Agenda: Continue to work on the above protocols.

 

Tracking List Workgroup (Mr. Miggins).  Last meeting was on 9/11/09.  The workgroup discussed the purpose, use, and intent of the Tracking List. The tracking list was divided into four categories:  policy issues, procedural issues, action items, and general questions.  It is hoped that the work of this workgroup will be completed by 10/12/09. 

 

> Next meeting:  9/28/09 at 3:00 p.m.

 

               X.      Old Business:

 

Mr. Eriksson asked for an update on CRC business cards. Ms. Baptista said that the business cards will include the name of the individual CRC member and the CRC email address. All that is needed at this time is for CRC to decide what phone number they would like to have on the card. Ms. Konev has offered to CRC to use the IPR Outreach Coordinator’s phone number as a message phone number for CRC. 

 

Mr. Eriksson made a motion to include the IPR Community Outreach Coordinator’s phone number on the business cards. Ms. Silver seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.  

 

There was discussion about whether to include wording on the business card to clarify that the Citizen Review Committee is a Portland Police oversight committee. Ms. Baptista said she would ask Carol Kershner, IPR Office Manager, to produce a mock-up of the business card for the Outreach Workgroup to review at their next meeting. There was a consensus that the Outreach Workgroup be empowered to make a final decision about the business card format without the need to obtain approval of the full CRC.   

 

              XI.      New Business:  None

 

             XII.      Public Comment

 

Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch) made the observation that there is no one currently on CRC specifically representing the homeless community. Mr. Handelman asked CRC to keep the homeless community in mind when planning outreach. Mr. Handelman also voiced his objection to the Deputy City Attorney advising CRC on the burden of proof at appeal hearings.  

 

Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters) suggested that the IPR Director write a guest column for the Oregonian explaining IPR’s role in reviewing the Chasse investigation.

 

Richard Koenig (Committee for Appropriate Enforcement of Motor Vehicle Laws) distributed a document to CRC members and asked for CRC’s assistance in filing a police report.

 

Patrick Dinan asked for CRC’s assistance on a Traffic Court matter.

 

            XIII.      Wrap-up Comments:

 

Mr. Miggins clarified for the record that the document submitted by Mr. Koenig is    does not represent the views of CRC.   

 

Ms. Griffin-Valade thanked CRC members for their dedicated service to the City    and the community.

 

             XIV.      Chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 7:32 p.m.