PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2009
July 21, 2009

Minutes

Citizen Review Committee

July 21, 2009

 

Date Approved: August 18, 2009

 

Meeting Location: Lovejoy room, Portland City Hall

 

CRC Members Present: Michael Bigham (Chair), Loren Eriksson, JoAnn Jackson, Mark Johnson, Lewellyn Robison, Rochelle Silver

 

CRC Member Absent: Hank Miggins

 

City staff: LaVonne Griffin-Valade (City Auditor), Mary-Beth Baptista (IPR Director), Constantin Severe (IPR), Derek Reinke (IPR), Irene Konev (IPR)

 

Police Bureau: Captain Famous (IAD), Lieutenant Schober (IAD)

 

Community Members: Dan Handelman (Portland CopWatch), Jennifer (last name unknown), Mike Tabor, Jay Thomas (Portland Mercury)

 

I.    Chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm.

 

II.   Introductions and welcome

 

III.  Approval of 6/16/09 minutes:  Ms. Silver moved that the minutes be approved. Ms. Robison   seconded. Motion passed unanimously.

 

 V.   Director’s Report (Director Baptista)

 

   Work Plan:

 

>  2009 CRC recruitment. 19 applications were received. Application Review: Helen O’Brien (Program Coordinator of Victim’s Assistance, Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office) Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters), Bob Ueland (former CRC member), Michael Bigham (current CRC member), and Mary-Beth Baptista (IPR Director). Interview Panel: Debbie Aiona, Michael Bigham, and Mary-Beth Baptista. 

 

>  Force Task Force (FTF):  The FTF Follow-Up Report was released on 7/14/09 at a press opportunity.  The release of the report was covered on various news outlets including OPB radio, the front page of the Metro Section of the Oregonian and the Portland Observer, KATU TV, KEX Radio, and KBOO Radio. City Auditor Griffin-Valade, IPR Director Baptista and CRC Chair Michael Bigham will present the report to Portland City Council on 7/23/09 at 2:30 pm.

 

>  Support the CRC workgroups, including the “IPR Structure Review” workgroup to produce a final product by summer/early fall of 2009.

 

Appeals: Last month’s hearings were rescheduled for the August CRC Meeting because the appellant did not appear. IAD responded by email to questions asked by CRC about these cases. IPR has notified the appellant that if she fails to appear for the July hearings the IPR Director will recommend that the hearings be held in her absence.  One additional appeal was received.  CRC members should make appointments with IPR and IAD to review the files for this appeal. At the September CRC meeting, thirty minutes will be set aside on the agenda for a case review discussion of this case. 

 

IPR Community Outreach Coordinator Irene Konev presented an update on outreach activities. For the Citizen Review Committee recruitment, over 150 letters went out to Elected Officials, judges, Portland Police Bureau administration, former CRC members, community based organizations, businesses, ONI directors and interested community members. The recruitment was posted on Auditor and IPR websites, ONI website, and Commissioner Fritz’s website. A recruitment ad request went to all community             newspapers, ten of which ran the ads. A total of 350 hard copy applications went out during the recruitment opening. Other outreach included attending the NAACP meeting with CRC member Hank Miggins, meeting with Commissioner Fritz with CRC member Rochelle Silver, trainings at Neighborhood Associations, Lutheran Community Services, Sexual Assault Resource Team, Pride Northwest Festival and presentations to Russian Church pastors in Russian.

 

            V.      CRC Chair’s Report:

 

Chair Bigham said that he will not be able to attend the August CRC meeting. 

 

Ms. Silver and Ms. Jackson were appointed to present the appeal that is scheduled for a hearing at the October meeting.       

 

          VI.      Force Task Force Presentation and Discussion:  Chief Sizer and Director Baptista presented   a  summary of the FTF Follow-up Report, followed by discussion and comments from CRC and the public. 

 

         VII.      Workgroup Updates

 

Bias-based Policing Workgroup (Mr. Johnson) This month the workgroup met with Chief Sizer to discuss both the Bias-based Policing Workgroup’s Interim Report and the Portland Police Bureau’s Racial Profiling Report. 

 

 Next meeting: To be determined. Agenda will be to discuss finalization of the workgroup report. 

 

Case Handling Workgroup (Mr. Johnson). Workgroup is in suspension at this time because there are only two members.  

 

       Next meeting: No meeting scheduled.

 

IPR Structure Review Workgroup (Ms. Jackson). Last meeting was 7/9/09 and included a discussion of comments outside of the outline of primary topic areas.

 

Next meeting: 8/9/09, 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 pm. 1st Floor Auditor’s Conference Room: Review comments regarding the six focus areas. Any CRC members with an interest in or experience working with any of the focus areas are invited to attend and provide comments. 

 

Outreach Workgroup (Mr. Eriksson):  Last meeting 7/15/09. IPR Community Outreach Coordinator Irene Konev presented the workgroup members with copies of the Community Outreach Plan.    

 

       Next meeting:  8/6/09 at 3:30 p.m., 1st Floor Auditor’s Conference Room.

 

PARC Report Review Workgroup (Mr. Bigham). Last meeting: 6/30/09: The workgroup is reviewing its assessment of the Police Bureau’s response to PARC recommendations and determining whether or not they will be making recommendations regarding each item. 

 

       Next meeting: 7/22/09 at 3:00 pm, Audit Services Library.

 

Protocol Workgroup (Ms. Robison). Last meeting: 7/13/09. The workgroup discussed  Protocol No. 5.19, (Policy Review Protocol) and the idea of having a CRC member provide a case synopsis for the benefit of the public at the file review meeting preceding an appeal hearing and using the audit worksheet as a means to focus the discussion during file review.   

 

      Next meeting: 8/10/09 at 3:30 pm, Audit Services Library.

 

       VIII.      Old Business:

 

Mr. Bigham again announced that the Force Task Force report would be presented to City Council on Thursday, 7/23/09, at 2:30 p.m. He also said that he and Mr. Johnson will not be at the next meeting, so that leaves only five members, which is the number needed for a quorum. Mr. Bigham asked the remaining CRC members to let him know as soon as possible if they will not be able to attend the August meeting.

 

Mr. Johnson said that he had been assigned to make the presentation of one of the hearings that was set over for August, but Ms. Silver offered to make the presentation for him.

 

Ms. Robison asked where CRC stands on putting together a group to study the Tracking List and recommendations that were made at the last retreat. Mr. Bigham said that an ad hoc group of the CRC officers (Mr. Bigham, Mr. Miggins, and Mr. Eriksson) would meet to review the Tracking List and retreat    recommendations, tentatively within the next month. 

 

IPR Senior Management Analyst Reinke discussed a script that he has put together for calling complainants to ask them why they chose not to appeal.  Mr. Reinke asked that any comments on the script submitted in the next week or so, so that the phone calls can begin in August.  Ms. Jackson asked if there will be a   trial period with IPR investigators making these calls and if there are future plans   for CRC members to make the calls.  Ms. Baptista said that she wants to get started on this immediately, using IPR investigators, since CRC is short on members at this time.  She said that if we are not getting a good response with investigators making the calls, alternate methods will be tried.  She suggested that the possibility of CRC members making these calls could be discussed by the Outreach Workgroup. 

 

          IX.      New Business:  

 

Ms. Silver asked if it would be possible for CRC members to have business cards. Ms. Griffin-Valade said that she had approved this and this is in the works. Ms. Baptista said that existing problems with the IPR email and CRC email are also being worked on.

 

            X.     Wrap-up Comments: 

 

Ms. Baptista expressed her sadness that Mark Johnson and JoAnn Jackson  have decided not to apply for another term with CRC. Ms. Griffin-Valade thanked Mr. Johnson and Ms. Jackson for their work with CRC.

 

          XI.      Public Comment

 

Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch): Mr. Handelman thought that some of the questions asked in public comment about the Force Task Force report could have been answered. He said that the 2006-2007 statistics were skipped over because of changes in the Use of Force Report. He said that public trust in IPR is undermined by IPR not conducting independent investigations.

 

         XII.      Chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 7:15 p.m.