PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2008
September 16, 2008

Minutes

Citizen Review Committee

September 16, 2008

Approved October 21, 2008

 

Meeting Location:  Lovejoy Room, Portland City Hall

 

CRC Members Present:  Michael Bigham, Josephine Cooper, Loren Eriksson, Hank Miggins, JoAnn Jackson, Mark Johnson, Robert Milesnick, Sherrelle Owens, Lewellyn Robison

 

City Staff Present:  Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Mary-Beth Baptista (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR)

 

Police Bureau Members Present:  Captain John Tellis (IAD)

 

Chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.

 

I.    Introductions and welcome

 

II.   Approval of the Minutes of the 8/19/08 CRC Meeting: Mr. Eriksson moved to approve the minutes as written.

      Mr. Miggins seconded. The motion passed 7-0, with abstentions by Ms. Owen and Ms. Cooper.

 

III.  Guest Speaker: Bill Toomey, Multnomah County Department of Human Services

 

Mr. Toomey presented an overview of the Multnomah County Division of Developmental Disabilities (DD).  He stated that the Portland Police Bureau has made good efforts to work with the DD system, but he expressed a need for more police officer training regarding persons with DD issues.  Mr. Toomey expressed a desire to work with CRC to explore ways to provide outreach to providers and clients in the DD system.

 

Ms. Cooper left the meeting at this point (6:30 pm).

 

IV.  Director's Report (Director Baptista)

 

IPR Work Plan:  release IPR 2007 Annual Report; review Communication Plan proposals; manage the case load; support CRC workgroups. 

 

IPR Accomplishments:  Constantin Severe, a criminal defense attorney with the Metropolitan Public Defender, has accepted the position of IPR Assistant Director; the 2007 Annual Report has been published and is ready for release to the public.

 

IPR Caseload:  The number of pending cases at IPR has continued to increase.

 

IPR Monthly Reports:  Each month the Director's Report will be posted on the IPR website in addition to the Director's reports from the previous two months. 

 

Appeals: No appeal requests have been filed so far this year. No appeals are pending.

 

Announcements:  The Mayor's Office is providing funding for two additional members of CRC to go to the annual NACOLE conference in October, allowing a record number of three CRC members to attend this training.  The members who will attend are: Mark Johnson, Jo Ann Jackson and Loren Erickson.  2008 CRC recruitment will begin soon.

 

V.   Workgroup Reports

 

Bias-based Policing Workgroup (Chair: Ms. Owens):  Derek Reinke will provide the workgroup with his and Portland State University Professor Richie's analyses of the workgroup's checklists for the workgroup members to review prior to discussing their initial findings at their next meeting.  IPR has begun drafting other elements of the interim report, including the purpose and scope of the workgroup, number of meetings held, number of files reviewed, etc.  The next meeting of this workgroup is scheduled for 9/24/08 from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m.  The agenda will be to review the analyses done by Mr. Reinke and Professor Richie and to discuss the progress of the interim report.

 

PARC Report Review Workgroup (Chair: Michael Bigham).  Chair Bigham met with Merrick Bobb of the Police Assessment Resource Center.  The PARC interim report is expected to be out by the middle of October.  The next meeting of the PARC Workgroup will take place on 9/23/08 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.  The agenda is to discuss where the workgroup will go from here now that most of their research has been completed and to begin to discuss the formulation of the workgroup report.     

 

Service Complaint Workgroup (Chair: Mr. Johnson).  Mr. Johnson was not able to attend the last meeting of the workgroup.  The workgroup has concluded its review of the data processing instruments that they will be using, and they have chosen a sample of cases to start reviewing.  The initial sample will consist of "protested dismissals."  These are cases in which the complainants have called back with questions or concerns about IPR dismissals.  The workgroup will later move on to a larger sample.  The next meeting was set for 10/9/08, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.  The agenda will be to check in on "where we're at," to discuss how the file review will be done, and to discuss the renaming of the workgroup.  The workgroup will also discuss comments from the Bias-based Policing Workgroup that are relevant to this workgroup. 

 

Mr. Miggins suggested that future CRC agendas list all workgroups even if there is to be no workgroup report, including, for example, the Outreach Workgroup, the Protocol Workgroup, and the Retreat Workgroup. 

 

Performance Review Workgroup (Chair: Ms. Jackson).  The workgroup held its first meeting on 9/11/08.  They discussed the workgroup's objectives and how to achieve those objectives.  The workgroup plans to prepare a draft report of recommendations.  The steps they agreed on were to provide the draft to CRC members and IPR for review and input and to schedule a meeting for public review (or as part of a CRC meeting) and to get some ideas about what additional groups should be included for comments and input.  The draft will be shared with the current mayor and City Council because the performance review was conducted "on their watch."  The workgroup plans to complete the draft by December.  After receiving comments and suggestions the report will be finalized.   The next meeting will take place on 10/9/08 from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m.  The agenda is to begin discussing and pulling together recommendations.  

 

Mr. Miggins pointed out that several CRC members are on three or more workgroups and he re-raised the possibility of expanding workgroups to include non-CRC members in order to provide a broader base.  Ms. Owens and Mr. Eriksson suggested revisiting the possibility of creating a pool of non-CRC members from the applicant lists and former CRC members.  Mr. Johnson suggested that all members of each workgroup be listed on CRC meeting agendas.  Mr. Miggins also raised the question of increasing size of CRC through an ordinance change.  Director Baptista stated that the charge of the Performance Review Workgroup will be to examine these and other recommendations with a view toward increasing CRC's effectiveness. 

 

Retreat Workgroup (Chair: Ms. Robison).  The Retreat Workgroup is scheduled to meet on 9/23/08 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.  The agenda will be to target a date for the retreat and to develop a mechanism to get input from the full CRC regarding retreat topics.     

 

Protocol Workgroup (Chair: Ms. Robison).  The workgroup will begin meeting again on 9/29/08 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.  The agenda will be to revisit what the workgroup has already done and identify the next protocols to be reviewed.  

 

Tow Policy Workgroup (Chair: Mr. Bigham).  The workgroup needs to re-open to look at the Police Bureau's response to the recommendations.  The workgroup plans to meet with some individuals on 9/29/08 or 9/30/08 to discuss the issue of tows involving homeless persons.   

 

Mr. Miggins asked about the availability of meeting rooms for workgroup meetings.  Ms. Baptista said the first priority will be to reserve the Auditor's Conference Room, and the back-up plan will be to use the Audit Services Library on the third floor.  She said that IPR will commit itself to reserving a meeting place as long as IPR is aware of the meeting and the meeting place will be included in the public announcement.  Persons attending meetings in the first floor Auditor's Conference Room will not need to go to the IPR office to sign a sign-up sheet.  Ms. Baptista asked to be copied on emails regarding workgroups.  

 

VI.  Tracking List Update:

 

(Ms. Owens). Ms. Owens is attempting to identify which items on the tracking list have been completed. She asked CRC members to look at the progress that has been made on tracking list items that are relative to their workgroups and to email her with this information. Ms. Owens asked for 20-30 minutes to be set aside at the next couple of meetings to take a closer look at what has or has not been done and to prioritize items on the tracking list.

 

VII. Old Business:

 

Chair Bigham stated that the agencies that have signed the memorandum of understanding for the Transit Police Division have agreed to maintain a police accountability and complaint handling system and to provide accountability system intake points where other agencies can refer complaints about officers assigned to the Transit Division. The agencies have agreed that officers will write a police report when they are witnesses to incidents involving other Transit Division officers. Captain Tellis explained that when IAD takes a witness statement from a Portland Police Bureau officer they can compel testimony, but IAD does not have that authority over members of outside agencies.

 

VIII. New Business:

 

Mr. Eriksson and Ms. Robison announced that the following day they would be sitting on a Use of Force Review Board

involving a shooting. 

 

Mr. Milesnick stated that Dan Handelman has raised the issue that he should possibly step down as a member of the CRC because of a perceived conflict of interest with his new position as Executive Director of Citizens Crime Commission.  Mr. Milesnick said that he does not believe there is a conflict of interest, but he was willing to resign if the other CRC members believe that there is.  After discussion, Mr. Milesnick agreed to provide more information about the Citizens Crime Commission so that a decision can be made at the next CRC meeting. 

 

IX.  Public Comments

 

Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters):  Ms. Aiona voiced her support for increasing the membership of CRC.  She congratulated IPR for getting the annual report completed and expressed a desire that the report be presented to the City Council.  

 

Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch):  Mr. Handelman clarified his concerns about Mr. Milesnick's possible conflict of interest.  He said he was curious about how the outreach consultant team was selected.  He said that he appreciates the support from the IPR Director for the workgroups.  He suggested that the Tow Policy Workgroup speak with Monica Goracke (Oregon Law Center) about the issue of tows involving homeless persons since she is works directly with the homeless and perhaps invite a homeless person to the meeting as well.  He suggested that workgroup meetings be scheduled at locations outside of the City Hall. 

 

X.   Wrap-up Comments by CRC Members: None.

 

Chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 8:08 p.m.