A. Defining words. Words used in the sign code have their dictionary
meaning unless they are listed in Chapter 32.22, Definitions. Words listed in
the Definitions chapter have the specific meaning stated, unless the context
clearly indicates another meaning.
B. Tenses and usage.
1. Words used in the singular include the plural. The reverse is
2. Words used in the present tense include the future tense. The
reverse is also true.
3. The words "must," "will," and "may not" are mandatory.
4. "May" is permissive.
5. "Prohibited" means that an adjustment, conditional use, or other
land use review may not be requested in order to allow a modification to the
regulation in question.
6. When used with numbers, "Up to x," "Not more than
x" and "a maximum of x" all include x.
C. Conjunctions. Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the
following conjunctions have the following meanings:
1. "And" indicates that all connected items or provisions apply;
2. "Or" indicates that the connected items or provisions may apply
singly or in combination;
3. "Either...or" indicates that the connected items or provisions
apply singly, but not in combination.
D. Lists. Lists of items that state "including the following,"
"such as," or similar language are not limited to just those items. The lists
are intended to provide examples, but not to be exhaustive of all possibilities.