PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2007
July 31, 2007

 Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
July 31, 2007
Approved September 18, 2007
 
 
CRC Members Present:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Michael Bigham, Josephine Cooper, Loren Eriksson, Robert Milesnick, Sherrelle Owens, Marcella Red Thunder (arrived at 5:50 p.m.), Lewellyn Robison, Robert Ueland
 
City Staff Present:  Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR)
 
Portland Police Bureau Members Present:  Captain John Tellis (IAD), Lieutenant Jay Drum (Northeast Precinct)
 
Chair Miggins called the meeting to order at 5:38 p.m.
 
I.   Introductions and welcome (Chair Miggins) 
 
II.  Director’s Report (Director Stevens)
 
•  Director Stevens introduced Ms. Eileen Luna-Firebaugh, who has been hired by the City of Portland to conduct a performance review of IPR.  Ms. Luna-Firebaugh said she will be meeting with IPR staff and community groups and will conduct a survey of Police Bureau officers.  She will submit her evaluation to the City Council in January.
 
•  Appeals Update: In calendar year 2007, 31 cases have been closed that were eligible for appeal.  Seven of those cases are currently eligible for appeal.  One appeal needs to be scheduled for a hearing. 
 
•  New PPB Directives: Three new directives have been issued.  One of the new directives concerns Internal Affairs and the complaint investigation process. 
 
•  Chief’s Forum Update (Lauri Stewart):  
 
a.  5/7/07: presentation on the Enhanced Safety Properties (ESP) pilot program that is being conducted in North Precinct.
 
b.  5/21/07: presentations on the Parental Responsibility Ordinance and Enhanced OC Spray
 
c.  6/4/07:  new Personnel Division manager was introduced
 
d.  6/18/07: discussion of forum member participation on promotion boards for sergeants and lieutenants.
 
•  Community Outreach Update: (Lauri Stewart): 
 
a.  Director Stevens was a guest on a KBOO radio show with JoAnn Bowman and provided media interviews regarding the Use of Force Report.
 
b.  Ms. Stewart spoke with representatives of the following programs:  Transition Projects; Portland Impact; Recovery Projects; Oregon Youth Authority; Office of Minority Services; Central Northeast Neighbors; Coordinating Committee to End Homelessness; Jean's Place (homeless women’s shelter); Northwest Social Service Connections; East Portland Neighborhood Association; African American Advisory Council.  She also spoke with reporters from the Portland Tribune, Seattle Times, Willamette Week, and Skanner.    
 
c.  Ms. Stewart presented at the Clark Center, a shelter for homeless men; met with Cathy Clemons of the Inside Out Interactive Theater; met with a delegation of Middle Eastern journalists through the International Visitors Program; provided telephone consultations to the City of San Jose (regarding IPR reporting requirements and staff experience) and the Albany Law School of New York (regarding the mediation program); participated in the Police Bureau’s oral boards; and provided an article on IPR for the monthly newsletter of Northwest Social Service Connections.  CRC member Josey Cooper attended a performance of the Inside Out Interactive Theater.
 
III.  Chair Miggins asked IPR to find out if CRC meetings could be held in the Multnomah County Board Room.  Chair Miggins expressed a concern that most of the pilot programs being conducted by the Police Bureau are taking place in North and Northeast Portland and not in other areas.  Chair Miggins asked Ms. Stewart to look into the possibility of having someone from the Enhanced Safety Properties program as a guest speaker at a CRC meeting.   
 
IV.  Guest Speaker:  Mr. John Canda, Director of Office of Youth Violence Prevention Program, Office of the Mayor.  Mr. Canda presented an overview of this program, which was established by the City of Portland in July 2006 to build a more family-friendly city and increase public safety.  Following the presentation, Mr. Canda responded to questions from the CRC members and from the public. 
 
V.   City Auditor Blackmer swore in returning CRC member Marcella Red Thunder. 
 
VI.  Workgroup Updates
 
•  Tow Policy Workgroup (Michael Bigham, Chair).  The Tow Policy Report is in the Chief’s Office.  The Tow Police Workgroup is awaiting the Chief’s response before bringing the report to the full CRC.     
 
•  Protocol Workgroup (Lewellyn Robison, Chair).  The workgroup has completed its work on the Election of Officers Protocol (5.22) and the Appeal Process Advisor Protocol (5.21).  The workgroup has also reviewed Protocol 5.04 (Communication Guidelines) and 5.17 (Guidance for Working Together Effectively) and recommends no changes.  The next meeting of the CRC Protocol Workgroup will be on 8/13/07 at 9:00 a.m. in the IPR Conference Room.  The workgroup is currently reviewing the IPR draft protocols on mediation and tort cases and discussing revisions to the Appeals Procedures Protocol (5.03). 
 
•  Bias Based Policing Workgroup (Sherrelle Owens, Chair).  After one more meeting, the workgroup will be ready to gather files and begin examining data.  The IPR Senior Management Analyst is preparing a sample methodology for standardized review.  The next meeting of the Bias Based Policing Workgroup is scheduled for 8/8/07 at 12:00 p.m. 
 
VII.  Appeals:  Chair Miggins stated that there are two appeals remaining that have not yet had a hearing.  One of these was has rescheduled for the 8/21/07CRC meeting at the request of the appellant.  CRC unanimously agreed to hold both of the pending hearings at the 8/21/07CRC meeting.
 
VIII. Old Business:
 
•  Mr. Eriksson said that he was asked by the Police Bureau to serve on a Use of Force Review Board, but he had to turn it down because of conflicts with his personal schedule.  Director Stevens attended the Review Board. 
 
•  Ms. Robison introduced the possibility of suspending the pre-hearing protocol.  After discussion, Ms. Robison made a motion to repeal Pre-hearing Protocol 5.11 and to direct the Protocol Workgroup to make provisions in the rewrite of Appeals Procedure Protocol 5.03 to allow CRC to hold a prehearing should they so desire.  The motion was seconded by Mr. Ueland. After further discussion, public comments were heard.  Mr. Alejandro Queral said that he believes the pre-hearing process is a violation of the IPR ordinance granting citizens the right to appeal Police Bureau findings.  Ms. Debbie Aiona and Mr. Dan Handelman suggested that a pre-hearing conference should take place prior to appeal hearings.  The original motion carried by a vote of 6-2. 
 
Yes:  Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Miggins, Robison, Ueland
No:  Owens, Red Thunder
       
IX. New Business:
 
•  Ms. Owens asked that the IPR email the CRC with the case number of the new appeal case that will be heard at the 8/21/07 meeting.  Mike Hess agreed to do so.   
 
•  Ms. Owens said that she felt there was too much of a time constraint in the question and answer period following the guest speaker’s presentation.  Chair Miggins suggested scheduling the guest speaker before the Director’s Report. 
 
•  Director Stevens announced that the terms of five CRC members will expire on 12/31/07.  The members whose terms will expire are the following:  Cooper, Eriksson, Miggins, Red Thunder, and Ueland.  Director Stevens advised all of these members to submit an application for the CRC if they wished to reapply.  The deadline for submitting applications is August 31.    
 
•  Mr. Eriksson asked that a discussion of the Police Bureau’s acceptance of the CRC recommendations be put on the agenda of the next CRC meeting. 
 
X. Public Comments
 
•  Mr. Queral applauded CRC for its decisions at tonight’s meeting.  He suggested that the CRC review the PPB pilot programs and the PPB’s policy regarding the use of pepper spray for crowd control at demonstrations. 
 
•  Ms. Aiona commented that the CRC application deadline may be too soon because many people are on vacation in August.
 
•  Mr. Handelman commented that CRC should have been asked for its input in the revision of the PPB  complaint investigation directive.
 
XI.  Wrap-up Comments
 
•  Ms. Owens suggested that CRC review the findings of the PPB pilot programs. 
 
XII. General Discussion with the Public
 
•  Mr. Handelman suggested that guest speakers at CRC meetings should address CRC about issues of police accountability.  Ms. Aiona suggested that CRC’s function be made clearer to guest speakers and that speakers be asked to address what they are hearing from their clientele about police accountability. 
 
Chair Miggins adjourned the meeting at 8:12 p.m.