(Amended by Ordinance. Nos. 150873 and 176955 effective October 9,
A. Permit Application. To obtain a permit, the applicant
shall file an application on forms furnished for that purpose. The
application shall contain all information necessary to the lawful enforcement of
the provisions of this Code. All applications for permits shall be signed
by the owner of the property, by the contractor engaged to do the work, or by an
authorized representative of such owner or contractor.
Electric Heating Applications. The applicant for a permit to install an
electrical heating system shall furnish on the application, information covering
1. The total area of the dwelling or apartment;
2. The ceiling height and area of each room, or space regarded
as living quarters;
3. The location, as to what floor each room or space is
4. The net areas each of exposed walls and exposed openings in
each room or space regarded as living quarters;
5. The type and amount of insulation used;
6. The U factors for ceilings, floors, exposed walls,
partitions, windows, and doors;
7. The amount of wattage required to offset the heat loss for
each room as required by Section 27.05.021 of this Code;
8. The total heating requirements for the
B. Plans and Specifications. When required by the Building
Official for the enforcement of any provisions of this Code for the installation
of comfort heating systems, comfort cooling systems, absorption systems,
ventilation systems, hoods, and any installation within construction required to
be fire‑resistive or of 1‑hour construction, three sets of plans or
specifications shall accompany the permit application and be approved before the
issuance of the permit.
After approval, one set of plans shall be retained by the Building Official,
one set on permanent file with the Bureau of Development Services and the other
set shall be returned to the applicant, which set shall be kept on such building
or work at all times during which the work authorized is in progress.
When the plans and specifications do not comply with provisions of this Code,
the necessary changes or revisions shall be made thereto.
Every plan shall be a print or other type of plan approved by the Building
Official. The information contained on the plans shall be clearly legible
and specifically indicated. No plan shall be of a scale smaller than 1/8
inch per foot.
Specifications, legibly and definitely stated, shall be included either on
the plan or on separate sheets.
The approval of any plans or specifications shall not be construed to
sanction any violation of this Code.
No person shall deviate materially from any approved plans or specifications
or fail, neglect, or refuse to comply therewith unless permission to do so has
been obtained from the Building Official.
The plans or specifications shall show the following:
1. Layout for each floor with dimensions of all working spaces
and a legend of all symbols used.
2. Location, size, and material of all piping.
3. Location, size, and materials of all air ducts, air inlets,
and air outlets.
4. Location of all fans, warm‑air furnaces, boilers,
absorption units, refrigerant compressors and condensers and the weight of all
pieces of such equipment weighing 200 pounds or more.
5. Rated capacity or horsepower of all boilers, warm‑air
furnaces, heat exchangers, blower fans, refrigerant compressors and absorption
6. Location, size, and material of all combustion products,
vents, and chimneys.
7. Location and area of all ventilation and combustion air
openings and ducts.
8. Location of all air dampers and fire shutters.
9. First sheet of each set of plans and specifications shall
show the address of the proposed work and the name and address of the owner or
lessee of the premises.
10. Plans and specifications shall be of sufficient clarity to
show that the proposed installation will conform to the provisions of this
Code and of all applicable laws, ordinances, rules, regulations, and
C. Issuance. When the Building Official determines that
the information on the application is in conformance with this Code, he shall
issue a permit upon receipt of the total fees.