PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2007
February 20, 2007

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
February 20, 2007
 
Approved March 20, 2007
 
CRC Members Present:  Michael Bigham (Acting Chair), Lewellyn Robison (Recorder), Josephine Cooper, Loren Eriksson, Robert Milesnick, Sherrelle Owens, and Robert Ueland.  (Ms. Owens arrived at 6:17 p.m.)
 
CRC Member Absent:  Hank Miggins, Irene Ogouma
 
City Staff Present:  Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR), Linly Rees (City Attorney’s Office)
 
Police Bureau members present:  Captain John Tellis (IAD), Sergeant Derek Rodrigues (IAD), Sergeant Roger Axthelm (IAD)
 
Vice Chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:40 p.m.
 
I.      Introductions and welcome (Vice Chair Bigham)  
 
II.      Swearing in of Robert Milesnick by Auditor Blackmer
 
III.      Mr. Eriksson moved that the minutes of the 12/19/06CRC meeting be approved.  Mr. Ueland seconded.  The minutes were unanimously approved.
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Robison, Ueland
 
IV.      It was noted that the minutes of the 7/18/06CRC meeting were not formally approved because there was not a quorum for the subsequent CRC meeting.  Mr. Ueland moved that the 7/18/06 minutes be approved.  Mr. Eriksson seconded.  The minutes were approved by a vote of 4-0, with two abstentions by members who were not CRC members at that time.
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Robison, Ueland
Abstain:  Cooper, Milesnick
 
V.      Captain Tellis of IAD introduced two recently appointed IAD investigators, Sergeant Derek Rodrigues and Sergeant Roger Axthelm and discussed upcoming personnel changes at IAD. 
 
VI.      Director’s Report
 
  • Appeals Update:  For calendar year 2007, 6 cases have been eligible for appeal.  Of these, 2 remain outstanding.  One complainant, who was originally willing to mediate but was out of the country for an extended period of time, is again considering mediation in lieu of an appeal.    
 
  • Two new PPB Directives were issued since the last CRC meeting:  Directive 210.22 Executive and Management Leave and Directive 630.45 Emergency Medical Custody Transports.  Copies of these directives were included in the CRC members’ packets.
 
  • Chief’s Forum (Lauri Stewart):  2/5/07:  Forum members provided updates on community policing activities in their neighborhoods or organizations. Chief’s updates included budget information, promotions, hirings, and changes in North Precinct.  2/20/07: New policy on emergency medical custody transports; new CIT Training and first round of mandatory training for all officers; plans to initiate Electronic Field Reporting; BOEC will now offer car prowl victims a choice between dispatching an officer or referral to the Telephone Report Unit (TRU) so they can obtain a case number immediately; discussion of LINKS system to tie the Portland Police Data System to police data systems in the Northwest and eventually to the entire West coast.
 
  • Community Outreach Update (Lauri Stewart):  Contacts were made with the following:  Independent Citizens Review Board for Oregon , Portland Business Alliance, Riverside , WashingtonDC , NW Neighbors, Downtown Neighborhood Association, ComplaintFormDistributionCenters , Downtown Crime Prevention, Center City Concerns, Portland Crime Prevention, PSU student, PCC student.
 
  • The next CRC meeting will be at a community location:  Port of Portland , 121 NE Everett Street .  The guest speaker will be Israel Bayer of Street Roots. 
 
VII.      Action Items
 
Amended Protocol 5.06 – PROCESS FOR APPOINTMENT AND REAPPOINTMENT TO CRC AND SELECTION OF OFFICERS.   (L. Robison)
Section 7 of this protocol, addressing the selection of CRC officers, was deleted and rewritten as a new protocol.  Ms. Robison moved that the above deletion be approved.   Mr. Ueland seconded.  There was no public comment.  The motion carried unanimously. 
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Robison, Ueland
 
Proposed new protocol 5.22 – ELECTION OF OFFICERS  (L. Robison):  The most recent draft of this protocol was discussed.  In section 3.a. it was decided by consensus that the last sentence in section 3.a should read “Members who anticipate being absent from the meeting and wish to nominate themselves may do so in writing to the Chair no later than 24 hours prior to the meeting.”  Ms. Robison moved that this protocol be approved.  Mr. Eriksson seconded.  After public comment by Dan Handelman, the motion carried unanimously. 
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Robison, Ueland
 
[Sherrelle Owens arrives.]
 
VIII.      Presentation of draft recommendations of the Tow Policy Workgroup (M. Bigham).  Public comment by Alejandro Queral, who suggested identifying specific agencies that may assist drivers when their vehicles are impounded.  Dan Handelman suggested implementing a sliding scale for towing and impoundment fees.  Debbie Aiona suggested that the Tow Policy Workgroup should consider towing issues involving persons who are living in their vehicles.
 
IX.      Appeal Process Advisor (APA) Guide (R. Ueland):  Mr. Ueland reviewed the draft APA Guide.  Ms. Robison moved to adopt the APA Guide.  Mr. Eriksson seconded.  After public comment by Alejandro Queral (Mr. Queral was assured that having an APA would not preclude an appellant from having legal counsel for an appeal), the APA Guide was unanimously adopted. 
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Robison, Ueland
 
X.      Election of Officers (M. Bigham)
 
Mr. Eriksson nominated Mr. Miggins for Chair.  Ms. Robison seconded.   Ms. Cooper nominated Mr. Bigham for Chair.  Mr. Eriksson seconded.  Mr. Ueland moved that the nominations be closed.  Mr. Miggins was elected by a vote of 6-2. 
 
Votes for Mr. Miggins: Bigham, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Robison, Ueland
 
Votes for Mr. Bigham:  Cooper, Miggins (in absentia)
 
Mr. Eriksson nominated Mr. Bigham for Vice Chair.  Ms. Robison seconded.  Mr. Ueland moved that the nominations be closed.  Mr. Bigham was elected unanimously.
 
Votes for Mr. Bigham: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Robison, Ueland
 
Mr. Ueland nominated Ms. Robison for Recorder.  Mr. Eriksson seconded.  Mr. Ueland moved that the nominations be closed.  Ms. Robison was elected by a vote of 6-0, with one abstention.
 
Votes for Ms. Robison: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Ueland.
 
Abstain: Robison
 
XI.      CRC Tracking System (R. Milesnick):  Mr. Milesnick will track bin items that are brought up at CRC meetings.  This tracking will not include workgroup items.  Mr. Milesnick will use a tracking worksheet similar to the one developed by Stuart Watson of Resolutions Northwest.  Mike Hess will email this tracking worksheet to the CRC members.
 
XII.      Workgroup Updates
 
Retreat Debriefing (L. Robison)
 
Mr. Ueland moved to approve the 1/13/07 retreat minutes.  Mr. Milesnick seconded.  The retreat minutes were unanimously approved.
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Robison, Ueland
 
Ms. Robison moved to approve the top seven policy issues identified in the retreat and documented in the retreat minutes.  Mr. Ueland seconded.  The top seven policy issues were unanimously approved.
 
Yes: Bigham, Cooper, Eriksson, Milesnick, Owens, Robison, Ueland
 
Ms. Robison announced that the work of the Retreat Workgroup has been concluded.
 
·        Appeal Work Group (R. Ueland) Mr. Ueland presented the Audit Worksheet, which has been developed by the Appeal Workgroup as a tool for CRC members in reviewing investigative files.  This worksheet will be available in the IPR office for any CRC members who would like to use.  Mr. Ueland announced that the work of the Appeal Workgroup has been concluded. 
 
·        Tow Policy Workgroup (M. Bighmam).  Nothing further to report.  The next workgroup meeting has not yet been scheduled.  
 
·        Protocol Workgroup (L. Robison):  Ms. Cooper has volunteered to be a member of the Protocol Workgroup.  There was no action taken at the last Protocol Workgroup meeting of 2/12/07 because two of the workgroup members were not able to attend.  The next meeting of the Protocol Workgroup is scheduled for Wednesday 3/14/07 at 12:00noon.  (This meeting has since been rescheduled for Thursday 3/15/07 at12:00noon.)
 
·        Bias Based Policing Workgroup (S. Owens):  Ms. Owens reported that the Bias Based Policing Workgroup is completing development of the workgroup’s preliminary objectives.  The next meeting of the Bias Based Policing Workgroup is scheduled for Wednesday 3/14/07 at 12:00noon
 
XIII.      New Business:  None. 
 
XIV.      Public comment: 
 
Debbie Aiona (League of Women Voters):  Ms. Aiona requested that the content of public comments be captured in meeting minutes.  She also suggested, now that there are fewer appeals, that there needs to be another avenue for one-on-one conversations with persons who have had unpleasant experiences with the police.  She said that is a valuable way for CRC to continue being aware of potential policy issues.
 
Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch):  Mr. Handelman expressed concern with part of the new police policy on emergency medical custody states that the EMT form will be destroyed;  Mr. Handelman suggested that when a workgroup’s work is ended there should be a report from the workgroup; he also suggested that when CRC members are reviewing closed cases, they should refrain from looking at the Police Bureau’s findings until they have first thought about what their own findings would be based on the information in the case file.
 
XV.      Wrap-up Comments:
 
Ms. Owens said that she has some questions about what CRC does to help persons who are eligible for appeals and to help it be a more friendly process.  Mr. Bigham said that Mr. Miggins was hoping that the Outreach Workgroup could work on ways to better informing the public about the appeals process.  Mr. Bigham suggested putting this topic on the agenda for a general discussion at the next meeting.  
Director Stevens said she would provide CRCmembers with a sample cover letter that goes out to persons who are eligible for appeals. 
 
Mr. Eriksson asked Ms. Aiona if she had any suggestions on how the CRC could have more one-on-one interaction with complainants.  Ms. Aiona suggested that CRC could handpick persons who have been through the complaint process to come to CRC meetings and talk to CRC members. 
 
Ms. Cooper suggested that to further diversify the membership of the CRC, recruitment notices could be sent to culturally diverse publications such as The Sentinel, The Asian Reporter, and The Scanner.  Lauri Stewart said that these publications are already on IPR’s press release list. 
 
XVI.      Tracking (R. Milesnick):  The following items have been added to the tracking chart: new workgroups (community outreach and recurring audits); eligibility for an appeal (who, where, what, when) and public awareness of the appeal process; inviting persons who have been through the complaint/appeal process come to a meeting to share their experiences. 
 
XVII.      Public Discussion:  Dan Handelman stated that there need to be safeguards to ensure that people’s rights are not violated by plans to share the Portland Police Data System being shared with other police agencies in Oregon
 
Vice Chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 8:15 p.m.