PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2006
August 15, 2006

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
August 15, 2006
 
Approved October 17, 2006
 
CRC Members Present:  Michael Bigham, Loren Eriksson, Lewellyn Robison, Robert Ueland
 
CRC Members Absent:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Irene Ogouma, Marcella Red Thunder 
 
City Staff Present:  Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR),
 
Portland Police Bureau Members Present:  Captain John Tellis (IAD)
 
Vice-chair Bigham called the meeting to order at 5:35 p.m.
 
I.  Introductions of CRC members and attendees 
Vice-chair Bigham announced that there was not a quorum.  The meeting was held, but no action was taken.
II.  Director’s Report
  • Appeals Update:  To date for calendar year 2006 twenty-three cases have been eligible for appeal.  Pre-hearings were held on two of these.  The appeal deadline has not yet been reached on four cases.
  • New PPB Directives:  Two new directives were received since the last CRC meeting.  One was regarding changes to Directive 210.21 Leaves of Service.  The second was New Directive 640.95 Undercover Safety and Operation Procedures.
  • CRC Recruitment.  IPR sent out a press release about recruitment last week.  The Oregonian followed up with a column, which has already led to several callers expressing interest.  Applications are available by mail and online.  Director Stevens encouraged CRC members to spread the word about recruitment. 
  • The Portland Police Bureau’s CitizenAcademy is tentatively scheduled to start on October 4 and run through December 6.  Director Stevens asked that any CRC members who are interested to let her know so that she can give the Training Division specific names.  She would also like to include potential CRC members who are likely to be confirmed.  The Training Division has agreed to provide instructors and make the CampWithycombe facility available for CRC training on Saturday, October 7.  IPR will pay for the cost of the instructors.
  • Chief’s Forum Update (Lauri Stewart):  There was only one Chief’s Forum since the last CRC meeting, consisting of a summary of the National Night Out activities throughout the city.  
  • Community Outreach Update (Lauri Stewart):
The complaint and commendation brochures are now available in four languages besides English:  Spanish, Russian, Chinese, and Korean.  Director Stevens thanked IAD for providing the funding for the translation and publishing of the foreign language brochures. 
 
The following outreach activities took place over the past month:
o       Met with Portland Impact staff
o       Participated in the Korean community gathering at DeltaPark .  
o       Met with an international visitor from Shanghai , Republic of China.
o       Provided consultation to the Cincinnati police oversight program
o       Did outreach with the editor of the East County News
o       Did outreach with the Communications Director of the City Club
o       Did outreach with East Portland Crime Prevention and East Portland Neighborhood Association
o       Issued Summer 2006 Newsletter
o       Started 2006 CRC recruitment
Mr. Eriksson volunteered to participate in the selection process for new CRC members.  Chair Miggins has already volunteered to do so.
 
Auditor Blackmer shared that three weeks ago he was invited to Eugene to participate in the selection of an auditor for their new citizen police oversight program. 
 
Director Stevens discussed a handout addressing potential speakers for future CRC meetings.  Ms. Stewart suggested that she be responsible for scheduling speakers on primarily educational topics for meetings at the City Hall in even-numbered months, and the CRC members be responsible for speakers on primarily community topics in odd-numbered months at community locations.
 
Mr. Eriksson and Mr. Bigham will not be able to attend the September CRC meeting.  Director Stevens offered for IPR to send e-mails to the CRC members to find out who can attend the September meeting.  Mr. Bigham suggested that if there is not a September meeting the NW Constitutional Rights Center might be considered for a presentation at the October meeting.   If there is no September meeting of the full CRC, Director Stevens suggested that this might be a good time for the workgroups to conduct additional business. 
III.  Workgroup Updates
Community Advisory Council (CAC) Workgroup (Vice-chair Bigham).  No update at this time.
 
Appeals Workgroup (Robert Ueland, Chair).  The Appeals Workgroup met on 8/9/06 with Eric Terrell and TJ Browning, former CRC members who are willing to serve as Appeal Process Advisors (APA).  Mr. Ueland will ask Chair Miggins to assist him to personally contact former CRC members asking them if they would be interested in serving as APAs. Ms. Ogouma has resigned from the Appeals Workgroup, leaving only two members on this workgroup.  A date has not yet been set for the next meeting.  
 
Tow Policy Workgroup (Michael Bigham, Chair).  The Tow Policy Workgroup met on 8/8/06 and identified specific areas that they want to focus on for their report.  The workgroup will review the Profanity Report and the Detox Report to see how those reports were constructed.  Director Stevens advised that there is no particular format required for policy reports.  The next meeting of the Tow Policy Workgroup is scheduled for 8/29/06 at 10:00 a.m. 
 
Protocol Workgroup (Lewellyn Robison, Chair).  The Protocol Workgroup was scheduled to meet yesterday (8/14/06), but Ms. Robison was the only workgroup member present.  Ms. Robison provided a handout outlining the protocols that are currently being re-examined.  A date has not yet been set for the next meeting.   
IV.  CRC Retreat. (Lewellyn Robison)
 
Ms. Robison distributed a handout with possible dates and agenda items for a winter retreat.  Mike Hess will assist with the retreat.  Mr. Bigham volunteered to assist.   
 
Director Stevens stated that she hopes new CRC members will be confirmed by City Council by mid-October so they can participate in the retreat and upcoming training even if they have not been sworn in yet.
 
V.     New Business
 
Mr. Eriksson expressed concern that lately there appears to have been an information lag between IPR and CRC.  For example, none of the CRC members received an e-mail with the agenda for tonight’s meeting.  Ms. Stewart was not aware of this since there was no message indicating that delivery to the CRC subgroup had failed.  IPR will work on fixing this problem.   

Public Comment:  Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch); Theresa Teater
 
Vice-chair Bigham adjourned the meeting at 6:35 p.m.