PortlandOnline

POL Government Elected Officials Auditor Griffin-Valade Divisions IPR CRC CRC Meeting Information Public Meeting Minutes Citizen Review Committee Monthly Meeting Minutes 2006
September 19, 2006

 
Minutes
Citizen Review Committee
September 19, 2006
 
                                                  Approved October 17, 2006
 
CRC Members Present:  Hank Miggins (Chair), Irene Ogouma, Lewellyn Robison, Robert Ueland, Marcella Red Thunder (arrived after the guest presentation)
 
CRC Members Absent:  Michael Bigham (Vice-chair), Loren Eriksson,
 
City Staff Present:  Gary Blackmer (City Auditor), Leslie Stevens (IPR Director), Michael Hess (IPR), Lauri Stewart (IPR)
 
Police Bureau Members Present:  Captain John Tellis (IAD), Sergeant Robert King (PPA)
 
Chair Miggins called the meeting to order at 5:37 p.m.
 
 I.      Introductions and welcome (Chair Miggins)  
 
(There was not a quorum at this time.)
 
 II.      Community Discussion: for the benefit of the community members present Chair Miggins, Director Stevens, and Captain Tellis gave a brief overview of the CRC, IPR, IAD, and the complaint process.  Community members were given an opportunity to participate in a dialogue with the CRC.      
 
 III.      Guest Speaker:  Ms. Monica Goracke, OregonLawCenter .  Ms. Goracke spoke about homelessness issues and homeless persons’ interaction with the police.   
 
(Ms. Red Thunder arrived at this point, thus establishing a quorum.)
 
IV.      Director’s Report
 
  • Appeals Update:  For calendar year 2006, 27 cases have been eligible for appeal.  A third timely appeal was received in IPR last week.  The next step is to set the appeal for a pre-hearing at the next CRC meeting.  Two potential appeals are still outstanding.   (Mr. Ueland stated that he has contacted TJ Browning to serve as Appeal Process Advisor (APA) if there is a request for an APA, and she agreed to do so.  If an officer also requests an APA, Ms. Browning will be asked to assist the officer as well.)  
  •  New PPB Directives:  No new directives have been issued since the last CRC meeting.   
  • New City Hall security procedures will be put in place as of October 2.  The Fourth Street door will be the main entrance for visitors. An e-mail describing the new security procedures was provided. 
  • CRC Recruitment (Lauri Stewart):  22 applications were received.  Interviews have been completed and five finalists have been selected.  The names cannot yet be announced as background checks still need to be done.  
  • Training:  Director Stevens has arranged for training for CRC members at CampWithycombe on Saturday, October 7.  The tentative time for the training is from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  IPR will provide lunch.  The PortlandPoliceBureauCitizensPoliceAcademy will begin on Wednesday, October 4. 
  • Chief’s Forum Update (Lauri Stewart): 
Chief's Forum8/21/06:  The main focus was the Family Services Division’s DVERT Program, a highly successful multidisciplinary program to improve collaboration between agencies in high risk domestic violence cases.  The Police Bureau is looking for possible ways to bring officers on Leave of Service (LOS) status back to work in some capacity.  The Police Bureau is reexamining its visible tattoo policy for police officers.           
Chief’s Forum 9/18/06:  Assistant Chief Brian Martinek, former Vancouver Police Chief, was introduced.  Chief and community partners, including NorthwestConstitutionalRightsCenter , will be making a presentation to City Council on October 19 about the police-community dialogues on racial profiling and disparate treatment.  The main presentation at this forum was the Parental Responsibilities Ordinance adopted by Silverton City Council, which has received national and statewide attention.
  • Community Outreach Update (Lauri Stewart):  
Consultation with Orange County Sheriff's Office about setting up a mediation program.
 
Met with Mayor's Office, Office of Neighborhood Involvement, Commissioner Adams's Office, advisory groups, and various neighborhood associations regarding CRC recruitment.
 
Met with persons from the Mayor's Office and various other city offices about mediation issues and human rights.
 
Outreach to East Portland Neighborhood Association.
 
Met with Hands On Oregon, which matches up volunteers with volunteer opportunities.
 
Met with Multnomah CountyParole and Probation.
 
Scheduled a meeting with the Director of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.
 
Submissions and ideas for the fall Quarterly Report are due this Friday (9/22/06).  Workgroup chairs were asked to provide a short synopsis of workgroup activities over the past quarter.  
 
CRC needs to decide on making arrangements for speakers, whether to have IPR responsible for finding speakers for City Hall meetings and CRC for community meetings, leave it the way it is currently done, or consider other possibilities.
 
V.      Chair Miggins raised a question concerning the possibility of suspending the Pre-hearing Protocol for the upcoming appeal and moving directly to a full hearing.
 
Ms. Robison made a motion to have a full hearing next month in lieu of a pre-hearing.  Mr. Ueland seconded.  There was no discussion.  The motion passed by a vote of 4-0 with one abstention (Ms. Ogouma).  Chair Miggins will notify the absent members of this decision. 
 
VI.      Workgroup Updates
  •  Community Advisory Council (CAC) (Chair Miggins) Chair Miggins read the CAC Working Paper.  There was consensus that the entire CRC needs to be involved in the CAC process from now on and there is no need to continue with a separate workgroup.  A suggestion from community attendants of the meeting was to have “round table” sessions with CAC parties.  Chair Miggins will explore this concept as a possible means of achieving the outreach goals of the CAC and will add this to the menu of options listed in the working paper. Ms. Robison suggested that CRC members might consider going to where other groups meet or congregate rather than trying to get them to come to CRC meetings.  Ms. Robison did not think it would be productive to reconvene the CAC workgroup to explore these suggestions.  Chair Miggins volunteered to take the lead on these issues.  Chair Miggins noted that the work of the Community Advisory Council Workgroup is now completed, and he thanked the members of the workgroup. 
  • Appeal Work Group (Robert Ueland, Chair) Appeal Work Group did not meet in September.  The next meeting will be on October 11 at 10:00 a.m. in the IPR Conference Room. 
  • Tow Policy Workgroup:  No one from the Tow Policy Workgroup was present.
  • Protocol Workgroup (Lewellyn Robison, Chair) Ms. Ogouma is no longer a member of this workgroup.  This leaves Ms. Robison, Mr. Miggins, and Mr. Ueland as members.  Protocol Workgroup did not meet in the previous month.  The next meeting will be on Monday, October 9, at 10:00 a.m. in the IPR Conference Room.
  • CRC Retreat (Lewellyn Robison):  The Water Pollution Lab facility is available on all the Saturday dates that were originally identified as tentative dates for the retreat.  CRC members and IPR staff will check their calendars and let Ms. Robison know which dates they are available.   Ms. Robison has not received any ideas from members about issues they would like to be covered in the retreat.  Chair Miggins suggested including the element of team building.  Other suggested topics include working together, powers and duties of the CRC, a general review of protocols, an action plan for the year, including a “top ten” list and various other things that the CRC has agreed that they ought to do, and training on meeting procedures.  Ms. Robison agreed to try to get copies for CRC members of the draft she previously put together on the retreat.
 
VII.      New Business
 
Mr. Miggins suggested that qualified CRC applicants who are not selected be asked to serve on workgroups.  Ms. Ogouma asked if there is any provision in the workgroup protocol for non-CRC members to be members of a workgroup.  Director Stevens affirmed that the City Ordinance gives the CRC the authority to create subcommittees including other citizens.
 
VIII.      Public Comment
 
Teresa Teater; Dan Handelman (Portland Copwatch)
 
 IX.      Wrap-up Comments:
 
Mr. Ueland asked if it would be possible for the City to issue photo IDs to CRC members to facilitate their entry into City Hall for business now that new security measures are being initiated.  Mike Hess will call and find out about this. 
 
Chair Miggins urged CRC members to search for speakers for meetings that take place in community locations.  Lauri Stewart has offered to get educational speakers for City Hall meetings and has suggested that CRC members be responsible for getting community-based speakers for community meetings.  Ms. Stewart will provide a proposed meeting calendar for the year showing where the meetings are to be held, which ones IPR will take care of, and staking out possible speakers that CRC might have in mind.  
 
Chair Miggins informed the group that he, the Vice-chair, and the Recorder will be meeting with Commissioner Leonard on September 25 at 2:00 p.m. and with Commissioner Adams on October 11 at 9:00 a.m. to seek their feedback about what they want the CRC to do and what they think the CRC is doing.  
 
Chair Miggins adjourned the meeting at 8:00 p.m.